Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

anyone else ever drop a carb screw in the intake when changing jets?

Old 10-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else ever drop a carb screw in the intake when changing jets?

This is not good, i dropped a screw from the carb bowl into the intake and started my motor because i didnt realize what had happened until it was too late.I should explain that i was working out side in the gravel driveway and i assumed that i just lost the screw which i had replaced in the gravel but i wasnt so lucky.My question is with the motor only being run for a few seconds at most what kind of damage could have occured?I hadnt planned on taking my raptor in for any work to my builder but i can see those plans have changed.If anyone has had a similar experience please share the results.And yes i do feel like an idiot but at least i had the sense to shut the motor down right away.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Range Rover

How much noise did it make?

Old 10-02-2004, 03:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

About 3 years back I was trying to fix a spark plug cap(LIKE AN IDIOT), the spark plug was out (motor exposed). I was trying to wedge a peice of metal wire in between the inside if cap and spark plug to get it to hold plug in place. The tiny piece of wire ultimately fell into hole, And I thought by some chance it didnt. I did not hear a thing when I fired the motor. I then sprung a leak on exahst side of head gasket. I took it to my meck and saw the damage to the sleeve and side of piston. Yes the screw will do damage. The wire I was tampering with was tiny, and I thought at the most would pass it. NOT! A screw should do BAD on your motor. Dont run it anymore and take her apart.JMO
I know its embarassing, but It promoted me to a stage 2. I now think-Live and learn, Or dont learn and live the hard way.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

Hey annihilater, whats done on that DS on your pics page in order to run those huge lights up front?
Maybe you can fish the screw out of the head with a magnet through the sparkplug hole or something?

Old 10-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sandfox24-It made enough noise that i realized within a few seconds that something was very wrong.ANNIHILATER.I will be taking my raptor in to my builder and i will have him take the motor apart as far as is necessary and inspect for damage.The problem is that i just had this 690 built in may of this year but at this point i have no choice but to take it in.It seems that the motor will have to be taken down considerably to inspect everything that could haved been damaged and that will be expensive.I suppose that this may be a good excuse to go from 11:1 compression to 12.5:1 and maybe a more aggresive cam set up.I know one thing i will never leave the intake opening exposed again because that noise that i heard from my stupid mistake was something that i never want to hear again.What could possibly be damaged from this?Of course the carb float bowls screws would have to be stainless so that they are even more of a problem than a softer version working their way into my motor but its too lat now to worry about that.The hardest part was admitting to the wife what a dumb thing i had done and on top of that explaining just how much it might cost.If it sounds like i am whining ,yes i am but hey i feel at least a little better for doing so.Now i just have to figure out how to explain this situation to my builder without him thinking that i am a complete idiot.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

That really sucks. It probably got the valves, head, piston, and cylinder.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Well the engine turns at 800-1200 rpms at idle, so just a few seconds is still quite a few strokes.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a little optimism for you. MY buddy got a V-force and a screw came off his intake filter and fell right down into the intake and in it went. Made this carzy noise and he was blowing out black smoke. Shut it off imediatly, took it in and the dealership removed the head, and to my friends luck, there was no damage, the screw got stuck back into the intake valve jamming it open. But causing no damage. So have your guy take the head off and take a peak inside.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Duneit, trust me there are a lot more embarrising things that can get in your motor. Your story doesn't sound that bad and a very honest mistake. I learned the hard way to make d@mn sure I plug EVERY hole that goes into the motor just as soon as I open it up.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

My advice is to replace the intake and you should be fine after doing that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone else ever drop a carb screw in the intake when changing jets?