Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

94 Timberwolf electric starter issue

Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Timberwolf electric starter issue

94 Timberwolf 4x4 stock. I've had it for 6 months and at first the electric starter worked but would just buzz sometimes before engaging. Then only the cut-off relay would click. The starter fires up the bike just fine by crossing the soleniod posts. I've replaced the cut-off relay and the solenoid with no help. The starter button is sending 12 volts to the relay, the neutral switch is working fine and I can't find any ignition brake switch on this bike (never had to hold a brake in to crank it so it may have been removed.) This particular bike doesn't have a recoil starter and I'm getting tired of using a screwdriver to crank it. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No brake switch on this model if its an US model, how did your connectors look at cut relay? do you have an good engine to frame ground? is soleniod clicking or buzzing now? how old is batt? have it load tested.... Check all of these and get back...Good Luck..

Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've test the conductivity from the battery to various parts of the frame and engine, no voltage drops so the ground is good. The starter spins just fine by crossing the solenoid posts and I've hooked a booster to the battery to verify the system is getting good amperage, no change. The cut off relay is the part clicking, not the solenoid. Before it quit working the starter would buzz but not engage like the bendix wasn't getting enough amperage, now it does nothing by just pressing the starter button. The connections on the relay connector appear fine.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your relay new? or used? can you tap the relay with an screwdriver handle will it help enage it?I think it has two blk wires or brown wires side by side. jump them two together with paper clip and see it starts if does relaY is bad.IMO.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

The relay and solenoid are brand new. The four wires to the relay are red/white (from the starter button), blue/white, green/white and white. I traced the red/white wire while checking the starter button circuit but the rest of the wires are wrapped up in the harness. When I get a minute I'll try to track down the remaining wires with a diagram and figure out how to jump the wires properly to bypass the function of the cutoff relay, but the system behaved the same before and after the new relay (both relays firmly click with power from the starter button but nothing from the starter.)