Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor/change altittude/jetting

Old 01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor/change altittude/jetting

Ok guys, I just got out of the air force with my 4 years, and I have moved back to tampa, florida. I was in spokane washington. (I had it jetted perfectly there with your help...) now that I am back here it is just running like crap. I pulled the plug and my buddy said I should drop a size, so I went with 155 and 160 instead of the 160 165 I was was running... It seems like it revs up all the way and then drops down a few hundred and hits a rev limiter... He told me that because the flint of the plug was a but grayish, and the bottom was alot darker... But this new jetting doesn't seem to help much... Any ideas? all the mods are in the sig... Thanks for anything!

by the way, florida riders, I am trying to get a bunch of people together for a nice ocala ride in mid feb or something... Everyone is welcome, kids, adults, seniors! its all about a fun time!

Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

TTT

Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Your 155/160 main jetting sounds good for sea level, the 27.5 pilot sounds a bit to fat. what are your air/fuel screws set at????? What is your needle clip setting??????; should be on the 3rd or 4th clip.....

Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Trailblazer

probably stock since I don't remember messing with them... The only thing I remember was main jets and pilots... And as I said, it was running perfect in washington, maybe just a minute amount of mid rpm lag (very little...) but other than that great running... Down here, it seems as if it would top out fairly good, but getting there took a little bit... Now that I put the 155/160 combo in there, it doesn't really seem like it helped it... I've got the stock plugs in there, and I am going to try a new plug... but I'm all out of ideas...

EDIT: I just checked Big Guns website, an with NO air box lid, they recommend running a 155/160 with 27.5's. No adjustment to the idle air screw or anything... I think I am going to try to reset both those screw to the stock location using the manual, and then putting the new plug in and seeing how she rides... If its not good, I have a feeling that with that K&N fiter, and the gytr adaptor, it might need to be a little richer than they suggest... Does this sound like a plan or am I missing something? I've had my quad with the 160/165's setup for about 8 months of riding... If this WAS off by about 5 point do you think I may have damaged my motor even though it seemed to be running great? Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Pro Rider

theyre jetted for sea level from the factory, go back to that unless you have a pipe. even then you may not need to mod it. see where I am? 4000'. we mod everything it seems hehe
have fun in the lack of snow![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

You need to remember too, you went from Spokane, Wa. to Tampa, Florida......I know your wondering WTF is he talking about.....The air density/Humidity plays a big factor in tuning a motor, Spokane your MAX air temp. in the summer was about 75-80 degrees and alot cooler the rest of the year, Tampa you start in the 80's and go up, plus the humidity is alot higher.

How long has it been since you've cleaned your K&N air filter???

You said your replacing your stock plug....I change mine about every other ride (and yes i know thats extreme) BUT........

I still think your main jetting sounds good, 155/160....back your pilots down to 25 or stock 22.5, Air/Fuel screws 2.5 turns, but not more than 3 turns, Needles at the 3rd or4th clip position.
Good luck........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

where are these needles located at? thanks...

Old 02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Bigdaddy is right....it sounds about rite anyways...to get to the needles, you must take off the top of the carbs....under them you will find a rubber diaphram. Remove those diaphrams carefully and under those you will find the needles...Hard to explain how to get them out but it is easy...Set the clip 3rd or 4th from the top slot. Try the 3rd first. Once you see it you'll understand.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Oh..I forgot to ask...were you using stock Mikuni jets or the Dyno-jet kit and needles?

Old 02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Spokane is at 2200' altitude and Florida is sea level. If you ran good there with 160-165 it should be good at that jetting where you're at now, or would need to be richer. But 160-165 is pretty rich either way. Going down in elevation, then running poorly, and jetting leaner to solve it, doesn't add up.

155-160 at sea level should be right, or at least close enough that it will run very well. Needles as the other guys say is your next adjustment, and cover other bases like clean air filter proper plug etc.

Search this Thread