Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 00,01 owners, Any problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2000, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a 2 wheel drive 01 Kodiak. Would like to know if anyone has been having any problems with there Kodiaks? e.g. auto trans, brakes, etc... I was looking at the 01 Big Bear too, but I think the auto trans. would be nice to have. What do you all think about the auto trans. will it last as long as the Big Bears trans. without the auto.? Any thoughts ? Thanks Foots.

Old 09-27-2000, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have a '00 Kodiak 4x4 and have not had any problems at all. Its a great quad, If I want to go mudding it can mud with ease, if I want to ride trails, it can do trails like a sport bike and swing across corners with ease. I cant say enough good things about the Kodiak, its just a great all around quad. The auto transmission is great and truly reliable, I have not had any slippage whatsoever and from other posts ive read, neither have other kodiak owners. You would have to purposely try to make the belt slip by doing something dumb, like using it as a submarine. If you want a good all aroung machine with no real flaws I recommend the Kodiak. I do alot of my riding in 2wd which is what your looking at and Ive even done some mudding in 2wd but if you want a mudder get the 4wd. On the other hand if you want an all around machine and mostly for trails and so forth, the 2wd will fit the bill like a charm. I dont know much about the Big Bear, but I like the auto trans. too much to even consider a manual machine. Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2000, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have a oo kodiak 4x4 and have had no problems. I agree with everything KingKodiak4x4 says, its a great quad.

Old 09-28-2000, 10:19 AM
Range Rover

Me too! Great quad.

Old 09-28-2000, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with the rest, the Kodiak 4wd is overall a great quad. I've only had mine for 3 months and have put it through pure hell. So realistically, here's what you can expect out of the machine. If you become airborn 3 feet or higher, you WILL bottom out. You can completely submerge it for a few seconds at a time without any belt slippage as long as forward momentum is kept. But the moment it stops, you will take on water rather quickly. The drain plugs for the belt are poorly located and will NOT drain all the water out. If you take on water for the belt, you will have to stand it on end and tilt it back a hair in order to drain all the water out. The stock tires tend to buckle under a tad in hard cornering or if you are traversing an incline. I have found that the back brake pad is already needing to be replaced. Not sure what happened there since I rarely use the brakes. The Kodiak has engine braking which works really well.Overall, the Kodiak is a real good machine, be it on hard pack, through water, through mud. If you want to do any night riding, I strongly suggest that you add some directional lighting to the unit if you go with the Kodiak.

Old 09-28-2000, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

I have had my 00 Kodiak for 4 months with no problems. As far as long term reliability - I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I love the Kodiak. It is by far the best utility machine I have ever owned. It sportiness and superb handling are what sold me. I have found the stock suspension to be just fine for even agressive trail riding. Right now my front shocks are set a stiff as possible and the rear is set a little soft. I like these settings the best.

Another selling point for the Kodiak is the AMA Grand National Cross Country series. This is a cross country type of racing series and the Kodiak is a popular machine in the utility classes.

Old 09-28-2000, 09:37 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Amazing that all of you are not having any rear brake pad problems; the black hood not staying clip in place on the tank cover and the rear rack upper tube hasn't bent backwards due to a after market 2.5 gal gas can rack especially the one made by Kimpec. I too found out that the rear pads are softer and just from the dust and water mix or a little mud riding that stays suck in the piston area rubs the pad down against the disc(the area that you can't get to unless you disassemble to do a better cleaning). This is what the dealer's has told me since I told him I didn't have to use brakes that much due to the great engine braking that this machine has. Well I had a 97 Big Bear SE 4X4 and I can agree with all that the 00 Kodiak is one fun riding machine !!!!!!!

Mac The Red Rhino

Old 09-28-2000, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about the Kodiak. Because I was hearing things about this machine like, It falls apart, not make good, Trans. trouble, something leaking, etc. Some of this talk came from a Honda dealer! So I know I have to take what he says with a grain of salt, if you know what I mean. I was also looking a the ES Rancher 2*4 But I really like what I read about the Kodiak 01. I just want to get a good bike that will last for my money. I sure you all understand what I'm going though. Again thanks for the input. Foots.

Old 09-29-2000, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't trust a dealers opinion on any quad, they have ulterior motives. The Kodiak killed the Honda 450es in a shootout in every category. I've had no problems but did have to replace the rear brake pad at 600 miles which cost $25.00. I will get EBC next time as they are supposed to last longer. It's an excellent quad and would only trade for a Kodiak 450 or 500 with comparable weight, size, in the future.

2000 kodiak 400 4x4
2000 warn winch
25x10-12 escavators
alum rear skid

Old 09-29-2000, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hi JHAM,
I got the Titan 589's in the same size as the excavators you took off! The traction is phenominal in all situations. I wish I would've went with stock width up front though for the tight spots. I'm waiting to see if that steering shaft bearing starts to click. I'll let you know.

Damguy
y2 Kodiak 4x4
Warn Winch
Titan 589's 25X10X12
BIG SMILE

Quick Reply: Kodiak 00,01 owners, Any problems ???