Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor timing chain

Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor timing chain

i took my cylinder head off because oil was getting into the spark plug and was dripping out the drain for when that happens

so now i am putting it back together and was wondering what to set the timing to and how to put the cam back in

its actually my dad doing all of this and i dont really know what im talking about

Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sicknectarsweetair
i took my cylinder head off because oil was getting into the spark plug and was dripping out the drain for when that happensso now i am putting it back together and was wondering what to set the timing to and how to put the cam back inits actually my dad doing all of this and i dont really know what im talking about
Best thing to have on hand is a maintenance manual to direct you through the process. There are digital copies all over the net for you to download as well. It's about 10 megs. If you can't find it I can send it to you if you like.
Gary

Old 08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

thanks i will look right now by the way do you know of any places that sell raptor cylinder heads because my dad just got home from 2 shops and they said it was kind of beat so we will just get a different one. i always check ebay but i think i would rather get one from a regular shop or online. thanks

Old 08-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

unscrew the 2 round covers from the left side crank case.
use a socket to spin the crank counter clockwise until you line up the straight timing mark with the mark on the case.
Put the cam gear in the chain lining up the 2 dots with the top of the head. There should also be 1 dot that is straight up.
Drop the cam into place with all the lobes going down.
Bolt the gear to the cam.
Double check to make sure everything lines up as described.
Bolt the valve cover on BEFORE you bolt the cam chain adjuster back into place.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And remember to decompress the cam chain tensioner BEFORE you install it back into the bike.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

alright sweet i think im throwing a hot cam in it

and im buying a new cam tensioner and springs because it makes a ticking noise or so we think

Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sicknectarsweetair
alright sweet i think im throwing a hot cam in it and im buying a new cam tensioner and springs because it makes a ticking noise or so we think
Pay particular attention on the install of the decompression pin....AND if it works correct with no binding. There have been rare occasions of the hot cams not having enough clearance for proper operation of the decompression mechanism. This happenned to me once before. Not trying to steer you away from the hot cams, just giving you a heads up. I have a stage 2 installed now and it works great. Timing chains are about $20, would'nt hurt to change it while your dad is in there.
In adding to maddog's response, definately make sure to install the collapsed tensioner BEFORE installing the spring and nut. If the spring is installed onto the tensioner and then installed on the engine, the tensioner is at that point fully compressed and you will run into major problems. Lots of people were running into this problem before and I am sure a lot of newbees are still doing this. If you need any advise, feel free to post or PM.
Gary

Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

alright sweet my dad should know all of that stuff if its anything like about cars(he is a retired mechanic) or the previous quads he has ripped apart

ill be getting the stage 1 because i dont really need a top end increase of power.

he also said something about the cam bearings looking cheesy does anyone else feel that way.