Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster- Bad reeds?

Old 12-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster- Bad reeds?

Today when we was riding we stoped and I heard a clicking noise coming from the moter, I did not think much of it so we kept on riding then all of the sudden it started backfiring and cutting out then finnaly quit. We got it home and pulled the plug and it was black and very wet (fouled) so I cleand it off and took it up the road and it ran fine for about 3 min then it started doing the same thing, pulled it back to the shop and pulled the plug and it was foulled again.
Could the reeds be causing this or could it be something serious. It has never fouled a plug like that in the 7 months I have owned it even tough it does run kind of rich.

Thanks for the help.
Derek

Old 12-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

Quickest way to tell is to just take out the intake manifold and check..Just take the intake and visually inspect the reeds for any cracks or chips..Check closely becuase even the slightest of cracks can cause problems..Also when a set of reeds get old they will not sit flush on the intake anymore..There will be a small area that opens up towards where the 2 points meet..To get a little more life out of them just take the 2 screws out for each reed and flip them over..Just make sure if you do this that you put the screws back in tight..It would suck to fix your problem and then have a screw come loose and get sucked into the motor..

Old 12-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

I took it apart and they did not apear cracked or chiped, but they were not seated all the way so do you think this is what could cause it to flood out so quickly and bad.
Please help I am still learing the operations of motors.
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Why doesn't anybody like me?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

lol..Dude just flip em over and then try it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Range Rover

The wet side crank seal may be leaking. It would allow gear oil into the motor causing it to foul plugs. A leak-down test would confirm this.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

I fliped the reeds over and it would crank and run but it would smoke alot and every so often it would backfire, the smoke was kindof grey.

If a seal was leaking would I not be able to smell that kind of oil burning instead of just the 2-stroke oil burning. It is spitting and spuddering really bad and then it will die.

How much would a leak down test cost? What does that test do, the search is down right now or I would look there.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Range Rover

A leak-down test is performed by removing the pipe, carb, eng. side covers, sometimes the fly wheel and clutch basket. The intake and exhaust are plugged and the motor is pressureized to around 9PSI. The general rule for 2 stroke motors is no more than 1PSI loss of pressure per minute. If the pressure drops significantly, then it's time to play find the leak.

Not sure what it would cost. Call your local shop and ask.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Has anybody else with a blaster ever noticed what happens when you park your quad on a hill in first gear and that's it. Mine leaks compression out untill it hits compression on the next stroke then does it again. Is this normal for blasters? Just wondering if it was or if I need new rings or what.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

There not like a 4 stroke that will hang on the side of a hill without problems..They will hold compression to some extent but nothing like the 4 bangers..To tell if you need a rebuild or not do a compression test..Anything under 120lbs and you should consider a rebuild..Good thing about keeping up with the compression is you know when the motor needs a rebuild before it lock's up..Then you don't have to worry about having bottom end damage from the motor seizing..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blaster- Bad reeds?