Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Crankcase Leak???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster Crankcase Leak???

My Blaster leaks oil toward the front of the crankcase right where the two halfs meet. I looked in the Cylmer Manual and it does not show a gasket there when you split the cases, it recommends only using a non-hardening gasket sealer. If I spray Carb cleaner down through the crank case it comes right through the bottom (I have the cylinder off). I am doing on tpo end on it now, will I lose compression through the bottom end crankcase leak or is it not a big deal?
Thanks

Old 06-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well, you wont be losing any compression reminding that the piston creates the compression from the cylinder not the bottom end. The combustables come into the motor and it explodes and the piston moves up creating compression. The rings are sealing the piston and cylinder off from the bottom end, so there will be no compression loss. But if there is any kind of lubricant in the bottom end of the blatser to keep the transmission lubed, then my guess is, it will probably leak out....Just a thought though =]. But if i were you, i would seal it back up with some gasket sealer. Non hardening gasket sealer, i got something for you. Go to your auto parts store and just ask for silicone gasket sealer, they will show you a variety of brands. Then a good thing to do would be getting something to clamp the case while it dries if you dont want to take it apart. Just putting the sealant in there and then pushing the cases together.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

If you have leak in the crankcase it will run erratic, sometimes it will run rich and sometimes lean. Also it might be hard to start. How old is the Blaster. If the crankcase is leaking, it probably has some use. So you might as well split the case. It's not that hard, it doesn't cost alot for seals and new bearings.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

If you have a leak in the crankcase on a 2 stroke you'll smoke your engine. It will make it wind out, and get really lean.
On a 2 stroke, the air and fuel gets sucked into the lower end first. That's how it lubricates the crank. As the piston comes down, it raises pressure in the crankcase while creating a vacuum in the cylinder. At this point, it forces the air/fuel mixture through ports. Ever hear of port timing? The ports on a stroke kinda relate to the cam and valves of a 4 stroke. Port timing depends on placement of the ports, whether they're higher or lower in the cylinder. I know this has nothing to do with it, but I'm just trying to help you understand how it's operating.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

It is a 2004. The leak is between the cases on the bottom, there is no gasket there so how is it supposed to hold pressure below the crank? Rather than pulling the cases would some gasket sealer or JB weld be enough to stop the leak?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Trailblazer

get a gasket, its called a clutch cover gasket, get it, and then apply some copper silonce on the gakster, so the cases will stick to the gasket

Old 06-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

Its not leaking by the clutch cover, it is where the cases meet in the center. Does anyone know if it is possible to separate the cases just enough like 1/8", (with special tools and much work) to squirt some gasket sealer between the halves?

Old 06-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you doing the top end? If it broke a piston, it could have shoved a piece of it through the bottom, causing the problem you are talking about. If it has done this, you really need to split the cases and see what all is broke.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer

How hard is it to split the cases? Do you need the case splitting tool or is there another way?

Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

First of all, if its leaking out of the crank area you are losing compression of the fuel air mixture because its pushing it out the case instead of compressing it fully. A 2 stroke compresses the fual air mixture below the piston before it gets sucked up above the piston to be burned as stated above. If its leaking from that point you are running lean and if its a bad leak you will sieze the motor up sooner or later. Ive siezed a blaster engine a time or two from crank seal leaks, if you have it torn down right now go ahead and fix it.
I would check all the bolts holding the two halves together to make sure they are tight. Could be just a loose bolt not holding the two halves together good enough. But not likely.

Quick Reply: Blaster Crankcase Leak???