Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ Wont run/Start

Old 08-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ Wont run/Start

My buddy has a 2004 YFZ and his carb or floats have been staying open or someting. Cause if he leaves the gas on it will drain.

So he goes to run his bike, runs like crap then dies. Wont start for like an hour, then starts again and runs like crap. Could it be the carb is stuck open with the float at all times and is flodding out, or could the stator be going out. It has spark when cold, but we never checked it after we ran it.

Any suggestions.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

Well, could it be possible that the carb floats are stuck? If so you could always take it off and clean it with some WD... The way it sounds tho is that somehow its flooding. I would do all the basic matainance to it, and if it still runs like crap, bring it in to a mechanic.

Good Luck!!!

-hondaman0045-

Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: URCRAZY
My buddy has a 2004 YFZ and his carb or floats have been staying open or someting. Cause if he leaves the gas on it will drain.

So he goes to run his bike, runs like crap then dies. Wont start for like an hour, then starts again and runs like crap. Could it be the carb is stuck open with the float at all times and is flodding out, or could the stator be going out. It has spark when cold, but we never checked it after we ran it.

Any suggestions.
If he leaves the gas on and the tank drains, the float valve is not seating/sealing properly. It is the valve that shuts off the flow of gas when the carb is full.

After a few years, the valve seat becomes oxidized and will not properly seal. Therefore the gas can leak past, and in some cases, the gas can go into the oil. This is bad if it goes into the oil and he runs the bike. Have him check the oil to see if it smells like gas, and or the level of the oil has changed.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks,

This Float vlave, if its is sticking, just clean it up or get a new one.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: URCRAZY
Thanks,

This Float vlave, if its is sticking, just clean it up or get a new one.
Unfortunately, I don't think the valve SEAT is replaceable. The float VALVE itself however, IS.

Try giving the carb a good cleaning. If that does not work, try replacing the float valve (they are pretty inexpensive). Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Also, tell him to shut off the gas when he is not riding.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]