Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how do we start our quads in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do we start our quads in winter?

What if there is no choke???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no choke and race on the ice and it was -10 here plus some wind and it was hella hard to start my 12:1 piston, once it warmed up all was just fine

Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

You'll never hurt a four stroke engine running the choke and driving it a bit until it gets up to temperature.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Footloose
You'll never hurt a four stroke engine running the choke and driving it a bit until it gets up to temperature.
How are you gonna back that up? Prove it.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Four strokes don't foul plugs like two strokes, I should have made myself more clear. I live in a generally cold climate 5 months of the year and when unloading quads in October for hunting it speeds things up a bit if you leave the choke 1/2 on while taking quads off the trailer, Instead of leaving quad idle for warm up sitting on the trailer.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

On my Kodiaks, in the winter I start them with a full choke than move it back to 1/2. It takes me a minute or so to put my helmet and whatever other gear I'm weraing on. I get on ride a 100 yards and shut the choke off.
Never had a starting problem and they run great.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: beamer99
On my Kodiaks, in the winter I start them with a full choke than move it back to 1/2. It takes me a minute or so to put my helmet and whatever other gear I'm weraing on. I get on ride a 100 yards and shut the choke off.
Never had a starting problem and they run great.
Yeah same here, but they don't like to shift untill the RPM's drop.....they would lunge otherwise

Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya, I notice that too. I usually choke it down so that the RPMs aren't too high.
Sometimes that 1/2, sometimes a little lower depending on how cold it is.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Trailblazer

where i live it gets down to -37 celcius with windchill and sometimes colder. I start with full choke, rev up engine a bit (5 bursts) try to put choke to half, (couple more bursts then hold steadily at very low rpm so it doesn't stall, then turn choke off, go inside for 5-10 mins.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Footloose
Four strokes don't foul plugs like two strokes, I should have made myself more clear. I live in a generally cold climate 5 months of the year and when unloading quads in October for hunting it speeds things up a bit if you leave the choke 1/2 on while taking quads off the trailer, Instead of leaving quad idle for warm up sitting on the trailer.
The spark plug fouling isn't the problem. The thing that hurts your engine is all the carbon that builds up while it's running so rich. That carbon won't instantly cause a catastrophic meltdown, but over time it will cause wear on your cylinder walls, piston rings, and valves. And it works it's way into your oil and contaminates that too, causing it to get dark and need changed faster.

Quick Reply: how do we start our quads in winter?