Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.

after rechecking their website. i am not concerned. nowhere does it indicate doing an oil change after adding to the crankcase. it will stay in there till the 1500 miles are up on the oil change.

not sure where you got your info maybe reading the website may clear up your confusion

Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

It is a cleaning chemical and needs to be changed after being driven. It may or may not hurt anything, but it definitely is meant to clean and not lubricate. The reason you add it to your crankcase is to loosen any sludge that is in there, which would be loosened after a short period of time riding. I can't imagine it being good for your seals, gaskets, etc.. after an extended period of time, but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Rock777
It is a cleaning chemical and needs to be changed after being driven. It may or may not hurt anything, but it definitely is meant to clean and not lubricate. The reason you add it to your crankcase is to loosen any sludge that is in there, which would be loosened after a short period of time riding. I can't imagine it being good for your seals, gaskets, etc.. after an extended period of time, but that's just my opinion.
Thats what I was thinking...

Old 02-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about berrymans b-12 chemtool? i put that in all of my gas tanks-vehicles and quad and boat. what is the difference between the seafoam and chemtool? which is better?
theres probably a thread somewhere but im too busy to look right now...

Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
Heard about it on www.rangerpowersports.com
Im also a member at www.bansheehq.com and www.r6messagenet.com
do u have to pay for any of the forums?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: skidooracer04
Originally posted by: JLsparky7
Heard about it on www.rangerpowersports.com
Im also a member at www.bansheehq.com and www.r6messagenet.com
do u have to pay for any of the forums?
Nope, they are all free.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

thanks

Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

i am also a member of RPS and i have also used seafoam. for the trouble you go through its not worth it to use it. i would say if you have a problem where a valve is stuck of you have a spudder i would give it a shot, but its really not always good to loosen up that carbon because u can end up breaking something loose and sticking a valve or something. i killed a spark plug when i did, and my truck didnt feel any different after i did it. what kinda ranger u got?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

also, about what u guys were saying about the oil, it is a good idea to change the oil + filter after you do it because it thins out your oil, in cars anyway, i dont really know about other motors, but there all basically the same principle. basically its a top end rebuild in a bottle, does that sound like something you would want to use on your motor?....its not going in mine again.

as a tip to anyone who DOES use it. if u get a sputter, change your plugs first, no matter what. especially with platinum plugs for whatever reasons. it burned a hole in mine

Old 02-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

I ran SeaFoam in my 2004 Yukon XL ...poured in gas tank...afterwards the Check Engine light came on and emitting black smoke. I wound up having to replace the O2 sensors (all four @ $82.00 each) and the mass air flow sensor ($175). It could be just a coincidence that they ALL went bad 2 hours after I put the stuff in... I dunno, but I won't be doing that again. It could have cleaned out the engine so good that it fouled the 02 sensors, but it was definitely strange.

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.