Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

350 Wolverine - dies out when giving it any throttle - help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Wolverine - dies out when giving it any throttle - help please

I have a 2003 350 wolverine I recently picked up used. I drove it the first time and it ran great. I then filled the tank with premium gas and power washed it as the previous owner didn't seem to take good care of it, pretty dirty.

After washing and adding the gas the thing hasn't been the same. Its been 3 weeks now (dried out) and I tired everything including a new plug and taking off the card and cleaning it, every time I touch the throttle after finally getting it started it dies right out. It will only start with the choke in the middle too. It will stay running once started and the choke left in the middle but as soon as I give it ANY gas it dies out right away. I can't even adjust the idol screw either way, dies out.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, premium in a stock motor is a waste of money, at 9:1 (some quads are as low as 8.5:1), it does no good, and can even cause running problems, since it burns slower and is meant to prevent detonation in hi compression motors. But it should still run fine on it. If it sputtered but didn't die, I would say look at the parking brake switch, it will stop you from going over idle if the parking brake is on, if it goes bad or sticks, it will not let you go above idle. Have you completely dissassembled the carb and blown every passage out with carb cleaner and air? one drop of water can hang up and plug a tiny port and make it hard to start/run. I believe your carb is the vacuum slide type, check to make sure the diaphram on top is not ripped,or the port plugged, or it will not open, and will die when you try to give it gas. Hopefully other newer Wolverine owners will chime in, they have more experience on the newer ones, my older one is a bit different carb wise, and I have no parking brake switch.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1brent1
I have a 2003 350 wolverine I recently picked up used. I drove it the first time and it ran great. I then filled the tank with premium gas and power washed it as the previous owner didn't seem to take good care of it, pretty dirty.

After washing and adding the gas the thing hasn't been the same. Its been 3 weeks now (dried out) and I tired everything including a new plug and taking off the card and cleaning it, every time I touch the throttle after finally getting it started it dies right out. It will only start with the choke in the middle too. It will stay running once started and the choke left in the middle but as soon as I give it ANY gas it dies out right away. I can't even adjust the idol screw either way, dies out.

Any suggestions?
Are you sure you installed the carb slide properly?
Gas vent tube clear?
Tried fresh gas? (bad batch maybe?)
Compression test?
Adjusted your pilot jet?
Tried adjusting the idle with the quad off?

Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok Guys, Firstly thanks for your time!

I finally had some time to play around with it and found that if I plug the 5" or 6" long vent like hose (maybe 1/4" dia.) that comes off up toward the top of the Carb with my finger the thing runs like new, doesn't die out while giving it gas. As soon as I let me finger off it goes back to crap!

Wouldn't that mean its getting to much air?

What should I do next?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

anyone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to work on it this weekend!

Old 04-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

check the parking brake switch on the left handlebar. if its not working correctly it will not run... period it will only idle as you described been there done it

Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

im not a carb mechanic and i dont know too much about the but it shouldnt be sucking in air from the vent line... otherwise it would suck in all the water when u go through puddles. maybe you installed something incorrectly?

Old 05-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK guys, I been real busy lately so haven't had a chance to work on this.

I'm still having the problem. Quad barley idles, dies out when given any throttle.

But when I cover the end of the hose in the below photo's, the thing runs like its new!

What do you think I need to do?

Would like to finally ride this thing this weekend as the weather here in western new york is now nice. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Click Here to Enlarge

Click Here to Enlarge

Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like your idle screw is wound in pretty tight..take off your gas line to the carb and see if you are getting gas..also unscrew(not to much ) the little screw to the hose under the carb,turn on your gas and see if it is flowing into the carb,when running a hot engine make sure you are pushing in your choke button all the way in...clean and oil your air cleaner..If all that dont work,I'd say take your carb to get cleaned if you dont want to mess with it..

Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey bro, I'll do everything you say and post results!

thank you very much, will keep my fingers crossed.

brent

Quick Reply: 350 Wolverine - dies out when giving it any throttle - help please