Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor help....

I just recently got myself an 01 Raptor 660. I bought it from a guy in the local ads and it rode fine on the test ride but now (being the second day riding it) it sputters and stalled once. It runs fine for about the first couple minutes or so and then sputters and hesitates. I've heard that the parking brake can cause problems like this but i noticed the parking brake doesnt work so i dont know if that might be it? Or maybe the sparkplug? I hope i didnt just get ripped off : (.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor help....

if that doesnt work try running some prem gas in it that should clear out some of the gunk inside (if there is any)

Old 06-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor help....

Pull the carbs off and check the floats. . . if they are sticking they can be an issue.

It is easy to dump as much into repair work at the Stealer as it the cost of a new carb. . . honestly, you may be better off dumping some serious money into new carbs. Those stock carbs flat suck on the Raptor.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor help....

yea maybe.....im embarassed to admit it but im not exactly "mechanically inclined" so that might not be an option, and it also sucks because it just came out of the shop for new rear bearings so i really dont want to have to bring it back.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor help....

Find someone that lives near you than can mentor you on these mechanical items. You'll get it. Then you can do the work yourself. After that, you'll never want to take it to the Stealer as you'll know you can do better work than they can in most cases.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor help....

yea I actually tried calling the only two people I know that do that kind of stuff and they're both pretty much unavailable. I'm getting pretty upset since I just bought it a couple days ago. So could it possibly be the parking brake? I'm hoping it's something easy I can attempt to do myself.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor help....

Possible = Yes
Probable = No

Don't be afraid of the carbs. Pull them off and clean them up.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Raptor help....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mxer1516

yea I actually tried calling the only two people I know that do that kind of stuff and they're both pretty much unavailable. I'm getting pretty upset since I just bought it a couple days ago. So could it possibly be the parking brake? I'm hoping it's something easy I can attempt to do myself.</end quote></div>

If you search about the parking brake issues here at the connection you should find all of the dtailed info needed to block off the parking brake and eliminate that potential problem. Next, I would do another search on cleaning the carbs and checking float level.....again, detailed info is available right here.
A shop manual is always handy when maintaining your atv....preferably an OE manufacturers shop manual. The OE shop manual is a little more expensive, but is more detailed than other knock off's and worth every penny. This is not rocket science, don't be afraid to service your atv. There is only one way to learn (and thats digging in) and with experience you will gain peace of mind the job is done right.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor help....

I think it is the carbs also.

07' raptor 700r
K&N air filter
white bros pro exhaust
power commander e.f.i.
durablue elimintor x-33 axles
i-shock front end

Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Raptor help....

ok so I go to try to start it today and it started up and idled for about 2 mins or so and then cut out and then would try to turn over but wouldnt start. Is there any chance it could just be the plug?

Quick Reply: Raptor help....