Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2006 wolverine 450 sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 wolverine 450 sputtering

you need it to shift into and out of park. there is no way it will let you start the quad in gear.

if it was to keep you from starting it in gear it would be on the shifter linkage, and would be a park neutral safety switch.

as far as it hitting a rev limiter mark
do you still have the stock size tires and wheels? If so swap them back on and see if the problem goes away

I have never been able to hit the rev limiter on my 450 wolverine except in neutral or park of course. That is where I would start.

Oh yhea have you went through any deep water lately? If so I would check your clutch housing to make sure that you do not have water in it causing the belt to slip which gives the impression of hitting a rev limiter. I had oil seep into my housing and dilute the grease in the primary, if water gets into the grease and dilutes it the primary will spit out the grease and the clutch will slip under full throttle which feels like a miss or a rev limiter hitting

Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it up to the dealer today,, and let them hear it... a tech came out and said it probally was the switch on the rear brake lever on the handlebar,,, it cant be that..

but he said it was probally a rev limiter like I said... the nuetral switch in these things is in the front differential on these things..

I did have oversize ITP mud lites on it all winter for a few hundred miles,which slowed the wolverine down alot and would rev high, and I changed them back a few weeks ago to the stock tires... which i didnt see any difference.. I will pull the clutch housing off tommorrow and see what it looks like in there..

I already thru 20 or so bucks for nothing today,, ordered a new switch for the brake lever on the left side... I swear that switch is only there for starting when its in gear. inside is a shaft, which pushes up into the housing when the left side brake lever is squeezed and makes connection with the two wires... but I will replace it (I broke it last week trying to get it out, and it had the problem before I broke it).. what do you think? thanks for your post... I need all the help I can get.
mark

mark

Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I am like you and do not think that the switch on the rear brake lever could be the problem with it causing a rev limiter engagement. I think I would be looking into the clutch housing for the problem myself.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

okay,, when i get home from college today i will pull the housing off and take a look.. not sure if I know what Iam looking for,, only have seen a few pictures with the cover off..after i get it off what does a person that has no knowlege of the centrifigual clutch system look for and check? do i even start it with the housing off? and possibilly take it for a short spin and watch the belt? maybe this is the problem,, because ever since i put those itp mud tires last winter, there has been a slight vibration noise coming from the clutch housing about mid range throttle. i plan on picking up a clutch kit sometime this summer...
mark

Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with ctateusa1 the more i think about it. i wouldnt be surprised if the belt was really worn for some reason (not sure why) or if the grease was diluted and messed up. not really sure what you should look for though, water? oil? i have never taken the clutch cover off mine.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

yes Iam kinda figuring that too... ive had the itp mud lites on from about december of last year thru june,, and have about 600 miles during that time... which slowed the machine down,, i shouldve waited to put the clutch kit on...most my riding thru those months have been climbing really muddy hills where sometimes I would just sit there and dig deep ruts, or theres a few deep mudbogs on the property i live on,, where i went in in two wheel drive, and really dug myself in,, then I hit the 4 wheel drive to get out,,, and sometimes i have dug myself so deep in two wheel drive, that when i engage in 4 wheel it would still be stuck doing the 3 wheel thingy..where only one wheel on the front is getting any traction.. one thing I love, getting stuck in two wheel drive then trying to get out using the 4 wheel drive.. iam waiting till ctateusa1 answers my last post before i dig into this thing..
mark

Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Here you go a step by step instruction on clutch kit installation and repacking the grease in the primary

Old 06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

sorry bout that hit the wrong button step by step instructions and a few helpful hints.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

as far as with the clutch definetly do not start it without the cover on, when you remove the cover you will probably see the whole problem if the grease is slung out you will definetly know it.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the clutch cover that you should pull out anytime you go through deep water that way you get all the water out and it does not get into the primary clutch to dilute the grease.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

here are some videos of my wolverine ,, including a video of my clutch.. you tell me if you see anything wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrMEfmpmnY

Quick Reply: 2006 wolverine 450 sputtering