Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear 350 Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear 350 Transmission Question

I've got a 99 Yamaha Big Bear 350 and the transmission is geared EXTREMELY low. The top speed is only about 32mph. I could probably go a little bit faster but at the top of 5th gear the engine is revved so high that I'm afraid It may damage something. Other than that, I love the thing. Is there any way to possibly swap the transmission gears out or even the whole transmission with one from a Wolverine (I've heard they are similar) or anything with a higher top end? Would this be too much work for maybe 15mph more? I know the lower gears mean more power but I can't stand being limited to such a low speed. I've ridden faster golf carts!

Any suggestions?

Old 05-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Mine tops out at about 50, and it to sounds as though its gonna blow. I've heard that you can switch with the Wolvy, but IMO I would rather just have another quad. I like to use the BB for what its made for, and that is not going fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Seems that it would be to much trouble for what its worth. BTW welcome to the forums. Have you tryed a search on this topic? I know I've heard of people doing this, I just cant remember where I saw it.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Transmission buddy's: I got up this morning, started up my 350 Big Bear, rode like a dream, but.... I could not get it into reverse, never happed before, did not force it. Any suggestions?

Laying down your live is good..

Old 07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there any indication where the problem might be?
For example, does it feel like the foot shifter is not engaging the transmission or possibly the reverse **** isnt allowing it to go into reverse.
I have a manual in front of me I can attempt to look it up for u.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there any indication where the problem might be?
For example, does it feel like the foot shifter is not engaging the transmission or possibly the reverse **** isnt allowing it to go into reverse.
I have a manual in front of me I can attempt to look it up for u.

Sorry for the double post, the server reported an error so I resent it..

Old 07-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Lasvegascop,

It shifts in High and Low all five speeds, if physically does not want to go down into the reverse slot. It goes down to the low ratio fine. I have tried to put it into reverse with the gears in neutral and while in a gear to no avail. Again, I have nor forced it at all fearing I may damage a gear. It seems to me that the gear lever should go out (away from the motor) before it goes into reverse. The last time I rode it, last week I had no problem and it has had no heavy use at all, i.e. hill climbing etc.