Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Wolverine 350 weird spark problem

Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Wolverine 350 weird spark problem

the wolverine i was working on had a brand new battery. There was no bad grounds or bad connections. The pick up/pulser coil came no where close to getting the correct reading so i replaced that and it now runs great!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

well, I looked at my Wolverine manual (on CD) and tried to run my own tests. My wire colors seems different. I hope I was checking the correct plug at the correct spot, because that part was confusing too. My cousin works at a Yammy dealer and says these pick up coils are somewhat common for the the Wolverine (I think he called them the charging coil).

Is there any other way to diagnose this part? OR, can you recall which plug you disconnected, and which wires you checked for resistance?

I see they cost about $30 on Ebay, so maybe I'll just buy one. Did you also need a new flywheel cover gasket? I assume this coil is located behind or alongside of the flywheel?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

what i did was took the cover off and then looked at the color of wires coming off of the pick up coil then i checked it becuse my colors were differnt too. And yes you will need that gasket and when you pull that cover off make sure you have a drain pan becuase there is oil behind there. By any chance do you think you could email me that service manual on cd? my email is jbigelow79@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

I sent you a PM.

DId you just buy the coil off of ebay and splice it into your existing stator wiring? The company is trying to sell me an entire new stator.... but if it's only the pick up/pulsor coil, I'd rather spend $30 than $130!

What year is your Wolverine?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

yes i just bought the pick up coil from ricky stator. Dennis Kirk also has them and ebay does too. I then soldered the wires togehter and put heat shirnk on them. The wolverine i am working on is a 2001. And i thought the same about buying the whole new stator when you could just put a pick up coil off of ebay or what ever.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! I put ANOTHER new plug in mine, and now it starts and has good top end RPM/performance. It still bogs in mid range though. I'm about ready to give up and let the dealer look at it. And I don't give up that easy.

Is there any way to clean spark arrestor on these??

Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Range Rover

i honestly do not know i am not a yamaha guy i am just working on this for a friend. i would guess there would be a plug you could remove a plug to clean it out. Make sure your carb is clean it seems like that could be your problem.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 03scrambler500

i honestly do not know i am not a yamaha guy i am just working on this for a friend. i would guess there would be a plug you could remove a plug to clean it out. Make sure your carb is clean it seems like that could be your problem.</end quote></div>

HAHAHA!!! that's too funny. I'm working on this one for a friend too! I've taken carb apart twice. Seems PERFECT and clean. Unless someone before me lost a piece or put it back together wrong. The needle is set quite high, on the lowest groove. ( low on the groove= high in the carb.. correct??) I'm thinking of raising it to the middle to see what happens. While I was revving it, my son claims the pipe was starting to glow red near the head. I never noticed that myself. Someone else posted that's a lean condition, but there is no adjustment I can make for that.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider

one other thing.... HOW FAR does the choke lever travel? I wonder if mine might be stuck? It only seems to travel about 1/2".

Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

That seems to me that you need to get the carb back to factory settings. Put the clip on the middle slot becuase where it is right now its causing it to run very rich. Then check the float level. And for the choke lever yours is pulling the same amount as mine. If you have any more questions don't be affraid to ask!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yamaha Wolverine 350 weird spark problem