Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Building a Wolverine 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Wolverine 350

Hey everybody, I just bought an '03 Wolvy for my girlfriend and am working on upgrades. I need an exhaust including the header, but so far haven't seen any aftermarket stuff available. Next on the list is the intake, what are people happy with? Foam, K&N, Modquad... Definitely want a full set of skids for this thing as well. I will probably think of more stuff, but time to get ready for work.

Thanks for any help,
Pat

Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, no responses? Does anyone have any experience with the full systems for the Wolverine? Today we removed the stock system, and have to work on removing a broken stud from the previous owners handy work...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

This is turning into much more of an overhaul than I had planned initially, any issues that would be best addressed from the start?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as full systems they dont really have anything. What is wrong with your stock header pipe? Usually they flow pretty well.

Hmf makes a good slip on for the wolverine. I have a K&N on mine. What kind of riding do you do? If you are all dry riding meaning no real water crossing(puddles or small creeks would be ok) then I would look at the CFM(I think) airbox and high flow filter.

If you were going into the engine and wanted real power you could do the FST 446 big bore stroker kit. Or atleast get a high comp piston and camshaft.

If you want real fun get a warn 424 disconnect to be able to change between 4x4 and 2x4 with the pull of a cable.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response, I am hoping to not tear into the internals for now, maybe down the road. the 424 kit is a definite, but not a priority right now. I wasn't initially sure how the stock header was, but it looks to be in acceptable shape after further review. Riding will be mostly dry, small water crossings like you mentioned, so I will check out the "CFM" air box.

Like I said, it is mostly for my girlfriend, and I doubt she will go fording any rivers, just playing in the goooey stuff and trails. And since it is for her, it has to be partially quiet, she is not a fan of my quad, and actually will not ride it. I have a lot of reading up to do on this machine and my options, just have to pin down the good info.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Get a stock header pipe,wile its off put a torque stuffer in it,it helps much in low end..HMF slip on's are the way to go best bang for the buck..You can always find a torque stuffer on ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/eb...ors.....30213461504

</a>
same with the HMF pipe some good deals on them there..This is where I bought mine.you get to pick color and if you bargin enough they will throw in the quiet core incert..
http://cgi.ebay.com/eb...ors.....20209776125

</a>

Now what I did with a broken header stud is drill it out tap it and used a regular hex bolt to tighten it down with..It was wery easy,make sure you buy a new crush gasget before installing the header..

As far as filters..I tried the K&N with the outerwears and still got alot of dirt in the carb,so now I use only foam..

Also the Warn 424 select is a must mod for the 350..

Hope this helps

Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

I have read about the torque stuffer, and found one on Ebay today at work, sounds good to me, so we will probably grab one of them too. I was figuring on an HMF, but was originally looking for a full system which was a no go. Where would you suggest finding a stock header, I haven't come across any in my internet wanderings as of yet.

Thanks again for any input, glad I came across this board.
[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider

Sometimes you can find them on ebay,but they are rare because there is noneed to change them with a new slip on exhaust.I buy all my online OEM parts frome these guys they have very fair prices,just add in your machine and go to Exhaust and the part are listed there in a schematic
You will need to get most everything but the muffler it's self,That is if you dont have the heat shield and stuff..
http://www.powersedge.com/page...amaha_motorcycle_parts

Ohh BTW I still have my OEM Muffler,Its not in new shape,but I would send it to you free,If you paid for shipping..

Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

I actually have never liked the torque stuffer myself. I mean what is the point of clogging up the header pipe and then opening up the muffler? You are just defeating the point of one with the other.

But that could just be me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for that link Todd, looks liek a pretty useful site with the diagrams and exploded views. I appreciate the offer on the stock pipe, but if I am replacing I might as well go aftermarket and get some performance and sound out of it.

I have wondered about how the stuffer works as well, but seems like a lot of people are happy with them, and it isn't like it is a big expense if I want to try it out.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Well, Pro Design intake is here, as well as the HMF slip on. both broken studs are removed, and I am trying to round up brake parts... Got the header cleaned up good, looks like it is a keeper so I am just going to paint it up with some high temp silver or black and reinstall it.

Todd, when you say to replace the crush gasket, the parts break downs don't list this, and I was wondering if you meant the gasket between the header/cylinder head or header/muffler.

Quick Reply: Building a Wolverine 350