Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR 700 or Honda 700xx

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAPTOR 700 or Honda 700xx

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know what people thought of the new Honda 700xx vs the Raptor 700r.

In most studies done with the Raptor(in all sizes) it remains supreme! In desert and dunes its fast and agile... With custom work there is no other "top dog" by far! Yamaha products and especially the Raptor are great machines... Hands-down
But, with all odds stacked up in favor of the Yamaha Raptor they're is still a question of "what is a good all around atv" More so when the Honda 700xx w/irs is released," will the Honda 700xx have an advantage with irs."
There is no question which looks better, but in all honesty...

1. What is a better quad for tight trail riding, low gear using, and power through-out all ranges of the gears?

2. Is the Raptor: faster in speed, on bigger openings, longer trails... And all out ***** to the wall perfonmace... With no site seeing? lol

Or will the 700xx have an advantage with lower-end crusing?

I' am seriously looking for a quad for intermediate-advance riding, but with a sharp style, and smooth feel!!!

3. Can the Yamaha Raptor 700 go slow? No pun intended! Seriously!!!

I am 5'9 225lb athlete looking for answers to find a good all around quad with the ability to hand all terrian, and all conditions...

Thanks guys, I don't mean to take up your time!
I've just spent the last three weeks going from Honda 450r. Can-Am Renegade 500-800! And now the Raptor, which feels great!
But
Frankly, all 450 are geared more for track/races! not all my concerns 15% maybe!
400ex was ok!
But with new 700xx coming! Is it worth waiting to March to find out that its too new of a design and resales will be impossible?

Lastly, is the Raptor too fast in tight corners, and too much kick for trail riding?

I do not mean to take anybodys attention away from their atv/internet conversations/interests, but I would seriously be grateful for feedback on which ATV is best suited for someone addicted to power on the fly, but hesitent to over due-it in size and be discuraged... Simply put!

P.S. Is KTM 525 geared for higher play... Or can you enjoy a nice ride through the woods, followed by intense hill climes, and fire trail blitzes!!!
P.S.S. Is Polaris outlaw 525 a good substitute for KTM? And all other atv?

Sincerely Brad Lee

Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

The Raptor can easily go slow, especially if you gear it down (put on a smaller front sproket) for technical trail riding. That big engine has lots of power and torque down low so it can putt thru the rough stuff if that's what you want to do. I would expect any big bore engine could do the same. If one intends to use the Raptor for mostly trail riding, one might want to invest in taller / tougher tires (22" rears / 23" fronts) for more ground clearance and puncture protection.

The Honda is still somewhat of an unknown (I haven't seen a test on one yet). I would think it would be more comparible to the V-Force (Kawasaki KDX-700) given it's weight, except it has the advantage of IRS and a manual transmission (for those that prefer a manual). With IRS it would have the advantage over the Raptor when it came to ground clearance. The power to weight ratio would have to favor the Raptor though. Still, the Honda would be more than potent enough to handle any kind of woods assault I would think...

Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

another plus for the raptor is that it is proven and reliable. parts are very easy to get and there are as meny if not more upgrades for it as any quad out there.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to ATV Connection. Lots of great info on here.
I would not worry about the Honda new model reliability issue. This motor in kick start only has proven itself since 2000 in the XR650R. I have over 10,000 miles on my street legal 650R and it runs like new with no sign of wear. It also has been most reliable engine of all time in Baja motorcycle racing.
The main issue will be solid axle vrs IRS. Historically solid axle has always been more stable in turns and side hills. The IRS systems have always been more comfortable and better where ground clearance is issue such as rocks and mud.
If this is going to be your first quad then I would rec'm something like a good used stock Honda 400EX 2004 or older. These are very easy to find in good condition due to owners buying something newer. This simple air/oil cooled motor is very reliable and owner friendly. Reverse, you don't need no stinkin reverse. Ride it for awhile and just wait until you really know what you want.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys,
all very good advice...
I do agree with "Bigned," parts and reliablity are key in woods and far destination riding...
Also, I like the fact that the Raptor can be tamed a bit...
I used to race when I was a child, and thought that fast was good but replacing plugs in off time riding stered me clear from 2-strokes.
OldTurtle, thank you for the welcome!
my fist motorized vehicle was a Moto 4 1984 I believe!
Then a CR 80 1995
KX 100 1997 ALL NEW
Yamaha 175 Endoro except this beutiful thang
2001 ZX600rr
2002MotoGuzi Califonia edition
2004BMW R1100s
"02" HD Duece Custom 103cc bigbore Screaming Eagle (show only) My Father and I bought this in wake of Hurricane Isabel... Befor he had his Heart attack! We own two matching bikes Deuce/Electra Glide Both Screaming Eagle Limited Edition

I would like to get back in the dirt!

I sincerely appreciate everyones commits! I still don't know where to go with my idea...
I have always loved Honda so I thought I would give it a good tought befor I made a decision...
The Raptor feels nice too! But, like this thread, I do wish to hear from those out there with experience with other machines... All are "Interesting & Fun..."!
For example, the Polaris looks great and seems to be flawless w/ Rotex engines and irs...
Anybody rode a polaris, and even a KTM... Are KTMs new atv all race, I've heard that you can use it in the trails...lol by KTM dealers

Old 01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Balisti. Thanks for info on your experience. Why are you looking at 4 wheelers? I started on dirt bikes in 1970 and still ride them but a little slower and more carefully. I only went to 4 wheels in order to keep riding after a nasty wreck that took 3 years and two operations to heal. From my many years of experience I can proclaim that the only place that 4 wheels are either better or more fun than 2 is in the mud. Quads can't even run with bikes in sand but they are closer. So IMO you should be hanging around Thumper Talk and get another 2 wheeler to get back into the dirt.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Balisti9,
I agree that two wheelers are better than four wheelers pretty much everywhere, so if you're used to motorcycles you should definitely shoot for the top end of the performance scale with a four wheeler, or you may be a bit disappointed.

I think the Honda 700xx is going to feel like a farm tractor in comparison. The Raptor 700 would be more resonable in my opinion.

I also think the KTM 525 is going to be a good quad for spirited trail riding. The KTM XC quads are designed for cross country racing, and the 525 engines are very managable. I've owned two 525s; the first was a 2005 KTM 525 MXC dirt bike, and the second is a 2008 KTM 530 EXC R dirt bike that is actually street legal in all 50 states. Both are actually 510cc engines, but the "525" is a third generation KTM 4-stroke that is the same engine as the quads. The "530" is the newer fourth generation KTM 4-stroke engine. Both engines have tons of power, but are smooth and tractable, and the power is easy to use.

3TV

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Funny Ol Turtle!
I don't know! Since you put it that way I might need to go back and rethink it... But, in all seriousness I truly believe atvs are a good source of pleasure...LOL
With a family its obvious, two wheels, and between two legs aren't doing it so I gotta keep trying.

Desert Viper, thanks!

With everything considered I think your right about the Honda. Everyone keeps compairing the 700xx to utility quads... Not exactly what I'm looking for; Or what I think I'm looking for.
You ever ride the KTM atv? Or just on/offroad bikes?

Also, I agree with you about KTM; they're good high-end products.

The Raptor too felt nice. But is it good for cruising?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

P.S.
Does anyone know of a motorized bike that came out in the 80s (give or take 5 years) that had a low seat height and very wide front & back tires... Almost like a mini or endro/ trail bike.
Colors I believe were perdominitly white, red, and maybe had a black seat? I thought fatcat or somthing close... Even Honda possibly! Not 100%
Looked fun, but stop making them for some reason! Mainly Trail bike!

I thought of doing a rebirth (new 4-strock engine/ suspentions & spings)... For my wife and kid!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Balisti9

P.S.

Does anyone know of a motorized bike that came out in the 80s (give or take 5 years) that had a low seat height and very wide front & back tires... Almost like a mini or endro/ trail bike.

Colors I believe were perdominitly white, red, and maybe had a black seat? I thought fatcat or somthing close... Even Honda possibly! Not 100%

Looked fun, but stop making them for some reason! Mainly Trail bike!

I thought of doing a rebirth (new 4-strock engine/ suspentions & spings)... For my wife and kid!</end quote></div>

I think you might be thinking about Yamaha's 200 Big Wheel, I thnk it was called. The tires were even fatter than Honda's Fat Cat. As to your question about the Raptor v 700xx, I'm sure you'd be happy with either machine and I'm sure the power between the two will be in the same ball park. I think you need to ask yourself how rough the trails are where you will be spending most of your time. The IRS Honda will give you a much better ride in rough rock techincal areas, whereas the Raptor will give you a sportier ride in the flatter more open areas in the west. If I were you, and I lived and rode anywhere other than the Southwest, I would probably choose the Honda, if however you spend alot of time in wide open areas out west, I'd stick with the Raptor. I think that was Honda's strategy when they thought about marketing it, they knew IRS would appeal to the vast majority of the US market place where most people ride in rough mountainous terrain in the US vs the wide open sandy southwest. One thing I'd bet money on is that the Honda 700xx wont feel like a farm tractor.

Quick Reply: RAPTOR 700 or Honda 700xx