Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

06 Wolverine - can you put a plow on it

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Wolverine - can you put a plow on it

I am really torn between a wolv or a kodiak 450 I dont have a trail system to ride here in SD but you can make your own in the highway ditches. I dont have any formal riding buddies yet but everyone in my small town has utility quads. I want to hunt with it and plow snow (I live in town but have alot to push). Also if I get a wolv can I put a 54" plow on it or just a 48"? I have talked to a handful of local dealers and they dont really like the idea of pushing snow without low range, but the one who said it would be fine had a good point. If you are careful and use a little common sense when plowing it will be fine, as in dont try and move mountains with it and it will be fine. I can find plenty of 04-06 kodiaks in my price range and only one maybe two wolv. Is there much difference in the Kodiaks from 04-06?

I have alot of questions here because I am really on the fence with what to get. I have read some other threads similiar to this but have not really heard enough to sway me either way.

One a side note I grew up on honda trikes and like the light sport end of things (90,110,200x, 350x) but really want to plow snow as my neighbor lets me use his brute force 650 to plow snow and wow thats fun but its a huge machine.

I am 6'2 and about 285lb and 27 yrs old with a kid on the way so maybe the kodiak makes more sense as I am selling my honda vfr interceptor (because I just dont ride it much anymore) to by a quad.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure you can put a plow on it. If you have to push a lot of snow you should look at the kodiak 450 or the grizz 450 so that you have low range and locking front diff.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I dont think you need low range to push snow but its nice to have. I also dont think you need diff-lock to push snow that will just make it harder to operate.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I push snow with my 2000 trail Boss no low range and 2wd .

Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I plow with my bruin 350....it doesnt have a clutch kit, low range, or half the power that my wolverine does and it handles it just fine. A few weeks back we had a little over a foot of wet snow and I had no problem plowing my 300' long 2 car wide driveway. I have a 48" warn plow in my bruin, and it is more than enough. You said you live in town, do you really need the 54" plow? Most sidewalks arent that wide, and I cant immagine your driveway is much bigger than mine...and the 48" is plenty.

The only challenge may be finding a plow mounting kit...I know the Warn kit is made for each specific quad. The one for the Grizzly 450 may work, but you would probably have to take a few measurments.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

MI wolvy you are right most sidewalks are 48" or 4' and my question is to you dont you usually have the blade tilted to one side or the other. Right now the Brute Force I am using has a 60" plow and even turned all the way one way its probably 54-55" or so and it picks up a little grass and dirt here and there as well as not getting down to the cement when the grass is a little higher than the concrete sidewalk. I would guess a 54" turned all the way would be 49-50" and that would be fine for the sidewalk. A 48" plow turned all the way will barely be as wide as the machine itself. I plan on making some flaps for each end of the plow so I dont have so much overflow on the sides and if done right they could add some width to a 48" plow.

I have found the mounts for cycle country and others so that is not a concern (otherwise I could make my own as well). My comment about the clutch kit was also related to the Hauck Performance machine work and clutch kit so that would help in my opinion, but it may not be necessary (just a good excuse for the wife).

thanks all for all comments and time

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hauck performance will work very well. The epi does work very well especially for low end power, for more power all the way through I would go with hauck performance.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Being big into sleds (and the cvt technology being very similar there and around for close to 45 years) the first thing I was looking for was a clutch kit for the ultramatic system because its one of the best ways to get more of what you want for performance (in my opinion better than a pipe and air filter and jet kit although they all go together very well as a complete power adder system).

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I saw someone else that talked about having a plow on their wolv and was hoping he would chime in.