Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz 450 too big?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz 450 too big?

im 13 years old and i was wandering what the best sport atv for me. dont get me wrong i love my wolvy its just sometimes i like to go fast. i have a blaster but im about to sell it. i have looked into the yfzs but i was wandering if the 450 was too big and too fast. if so which atv would be the best?

-------------------------------------------
2007 yamaha wolverine 450 SE
2004 yamaha blaster

Old 01-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default yfz 450 too big?

Its all about your ability. I will most definately say I would not let a 13 year old get a YFZ, however. I would not get anything bigger than a 400EX or a Z400.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default yfz 450 too big?

if one is able to ride a z400 or a trx400 then there able to ride a yfz450 with out a problem.the yfz450 will even handle better.the only difference is power.the yfz has a but load of it.just accelerate as you need it.my son is 13 he was riding all of em at 12 400cc plus machines.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz 450 too big?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DIRT FREAK

if one is able to ride a z400 or a trx400 then there able to ride a yfz450 with out a problem.the yfz450 will even handle better.the only difference is power.the yfz has a but load of it.just accelerate as you need it.my son is 13 he was riding all of em at 12 400cc plus machines.</end quote></div>

can a 12 year old (who weighs between 100 and 140lbs) control a quad like the yfz as good as a 160 or 170lb person can though?

On topic: You could always adjust the throttle screw if it has one or get a twist throttle. (Twist throttle is a lot harder to twist wide open when you're scared sh1tless!)

Half throttle on a 250f mx bike is enough to get my entire body shaking (first ride- after that the effects get less, kind of like drugs except that i've never tried drugs and this is probably more fun anyways)

moral of the story is: dont do drugs, only go half throttle on your first ride- it will be enough to scare you.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default yfz 450 too big?

i have also looked into the raptor 350. i didnt want to get the new 250 because it doesnt look too much bigger than the blaster and the tires are smaller. so do you think the 350 will be good?

----------------------------------------
2007 yamaha wolverine 450 SE
2004 yamaha blaster

Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default yfz 450 too big?

Raptor 350's are good solid bikes. I don't know where you are located, but I have a WArrior 350 with many upgrades that I am trying to sell.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Range Rover
Default yfz 450 too big?

If your experienced and you want the yfz dont let anyone talk you out of it, that quad will last you a long while as long as you dont try to kill it or you some how grow 8 feet taller

Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default yfz 450 too big?

can a 12 year old (who weighs between 100 and 140lbs) control a quad like the yfz as good as a 160 or 170lb person can though?

On topic: You could always adjust the throttle screw if it has one or get a twist throttle. (Twist throttle is a lot harder to twist wide open when you're scared sh1tless!)

Half throttle on a 250f mx bike is enough to get my entire body shaking (first ride- after that the effects get less, kind of like drugs except that i've never tried drugs and this is probably more fun anyways)

moral of the story is: dont do drugs, only go half throttle on your first ride- it will be enough to scare you.

-------------------------
Jacob
06 DS250
-nerf bars
-Can Am "DS" bumper
-coming: eventually, probly next summer/spring, Durablue +4 Axle, Dynojet Jet Kit

Only Tricks i can do so far are no footers (see my pics)
Any advice on how to land no handers?

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/crazy1291/

More pics^^

i would think a bigger heavier more expirenced rider would be able to handle a biger quad better yes, but a 12 year old can still ride one with pleanty of room to advance.i think riding a yfz450 is safer than like ridig a blaster.more stable handles better,when coming off jumps lands better etc.about the twist grip every one has there own opinion there.i prefer a thumb throttle on a quad for several different reasons.turning,goign over the rough stuff and jumping.i have rode with a twist grip and thumb throttle both many times.i just like a thumb throttle for atv's. i had ordered a twist throttle for my banshee about a year ago,i have the thumb throttle on there today.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default yfz 450 too big?

get teh yfz........i'm 15 and i've been able to handle that stuff since i was 6 lol

Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz 450 too big?

Originally quoted by Dirt Freak:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would think a bigger heavier more expirenced rider would be able to handle a biger quad better yes, but a 12 year old can still ride one with pleanty of room to advance.i think riding a yfz450 is safer than like ridig a blaster.more stable handles better,when coming off jumps lands better etc.about the twist grip every one has there own opinion there.i prefer a thumb throttle on a quad for several different reasons.turning,goign over the rough stuff and jumping.i have rode with a twist grip and thumb throttle both many times.i just like a thumb throttle for atv's. i had ordered a twist throttle for my banshee about a year ago,i have the thumb throttle on there today.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are so right about the yfz being safer than a blaster- i had/have the same problem.... it would have been much better and cheaper for my parents to have let me get a more expensive quad with more travel than my ds250 than it is to buy a ds250 + the dentist bills that have piled up as a direct result of the crappy, entry level suspension.

It's safer to grow into the power of a quad than to outgrow the suspension.

The twist throttle suggestion..... i didnt suggest it because i prefer twist throttles but because it's so much easier to just pin a thumb throttle than it is to twist a twist throttle all the way down when the back end is sliding around like crazy trying to claw for traction (and that's only at half throttle)