Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bruin not starting

Old 01-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bruin not starting

I have an 04 Bruin 350. It will not start by the electric start, only the pull start. When I press the start button, all I get is a buzzing coming from the solenoid. Thinking it was the solenoid, i switched it with the one from my dads Kodiak 450, and no luck.. it still buzzed and mine cranked up the kodiak just fine. I put a brand new battery on it, as the other was dead from sittin so long, and it cranked up just fine a few times but now its doin this again. it was doin it before the new battery so im pretty sure the battery is not the cause. Any one have any ideas? the starter itself maybe?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Try knocking on the starter maybe? I know that works in cars, not sure about ATV's.

Check ebay for a starter if you find that is the problem, I picked one up cheap for a buddys warrior.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The only real way to test a battery is a load test, which any auto parts store will do for free. If the battery is good, check the connections, to make sure they are clean and tight. Try hooking up a voltmeter, and watch the voltage drop when hitting the starter button. It shouldnt go below 10 volts.
If that all looks ok, then the starter brushes may be bad. Try bumping the motor with the rope pull, while the starter button is depressed, and see if that boost helps the starter spin the motor.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

My 06 bruin is doing the same exact thing. I think there may be something drawing a little power all the time, even when the quad is off which killed the battery. Im going to throw a new battery in it soon, and put a disconnect on the positive wire. That way, when I dont plan on using it for a while, I can just quickly disconnect the battery and not have to worry about it.

I can pull start it no problem, and after I ride for a while...it charges the battery back up, but within a few hours of sitting, it wont start with the button.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

sorry it took a few days to get back. well if i let the battery sit on the charger over night, it will start with the button several times. it was goin fine the other night till i tried to start it with the lights on just to see, and it went back to buzzing. i dont kno exactly what the deal is. maybe a bad battery? but it was doin this back last year before even with the other battery before it died. anyone kno anything else to do before i take it to the shop?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have the battery load tested. Its free, and itll definetly tell you whether the battery is the problem or not. It sure sounds like a bad battery.