Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Starting a Yam 80 that has been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a Yam 80 that has been sitting

First post here, hoping for some advice.

I am embarking on a project to get my old Yamaha 80 quad started and running again for my 5 year old. It has probably been run once or twice in twelve years and not at all in the last 5 years. I'm figuring on cleaning the carb, draining the oil and changing, but my biggest concern is the engine being froze/rings rusted to the cylinder walls. I plan to pull the plug and put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders then let it soak over night before attempting to get it to turn over. Any other pointers anyone have for trying to get this thing going? THe bike probably has no more than 200 hours on it and was left in excellent shape. Hopefully it wont take much to get it going, then I can govern it down and let my boy have some fun.

Thanks in advance for the help! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a Yam 80 that has been sitting

When you pull the carb apart, make sure the pilot jet is clear. Its got a very tiny center hole, and its always the first thing to plug up in the carb. Look thru it like looking thru a telescope. If you dont see light coming thru the center..its plugged. Just take it to the dealer, and get a new one. And buy one or two new spark plugs while youre at it.
Drain all the old gas out, and if you spot any rust or dirt, then try to get out as much as posible, and then put an inline fuel filter on the gas line.