Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Top end rebuild Warrior (88)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end rebuild Warrior (88)

How hard will it be for me to rebuild the top end of my warrior, being mechanically inclined isnt a problem im fairly savy with a wrench. What special tools would i need to do the job? Is there any particular kit that you die hard yamaha guys know of that works really well? Im not going bore the cylinder i dont feel it would be good for the overall bikes well being, correct me if im wrong! (PLEASE). Also i removed all the plastic from my bike to inspect everything. (i need new wires too). So if anyone has any insight as to making the rebuild and easier process it would be greatly appreciated, also anyone near the Rocky Mt. NC area interested in helping the warrior to get back into battle would be awesome!!! this is my first atv rebuild and i dont want to screw up a bike that is running into a bike that isnt!!! The piston rings are leaking and burning oil off which in return is fouling out my sprak plugs. I want to fix that and regain lost compression.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

A rebuild is easy, no special tools, just make sure you get the timing right when you put it back together, check and recheck it. As far as kits go, everybody has there own opinion, I have the JE Piston 85 MM kit in my 97, I don't care for wiseco, there too heavy, but more durable, so they are a good option, but not the best for total performance. the Stock piston is actually lighter than the Wiseco .010 over piston. But it all depends on how much you want to spend????

Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well i want to spend the money on the parts that are going to last on the bike,
i want it to perform like it should. Im open to all suggestions that would be a good match for the bike. I mean the damn rear shock alone is going to run me at least 500 bucks!! Im not going to skimp on engine components and go for the cheaper just to get by. I know this is going to be expensive but my plan is to rebuild the top eng and the clutch and go from there with new shocks new seals for a-arms and swing arm, new chain, aftermarket air filter, new pipe, new sprockets (stock),
new rear caliper. Im sure there is plenty im forgetting but you get jist im goin for the gusto and hoping to be riding sometime this summer.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Recon99 on here has a banshee shock on the back of his warrior, and I think I may be getting one for $150 bucks, so there is one way to save money. You can buy almost all the parts on eBay, alot cheaper than you can get elsewhere. the make a JE Standard Bore 83mm piston kit on there for like $130 ish, then buy you a cam and have your Head worked on, and it will run you around your $500 mark, unless you go and get the port job on the head, which I recomend, and that will run about another $100 bucks

Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

If you need a new wiring harness make sure it is the right year model so it matches up with your stator. Or you could buy a new wire harness and a stator to match. You have several options on a rebuild. If I were you I would pull the cylinder and see bow bad it is. If the cylinder is in good shape you could just replace the rings and hone the cylinder. Or if you want to bore it, I would go with the JE 10.5:1 piston if you can find one that is only 20 over. Most JE pistons I have seen advertised for the Warrior are 80 over.

If you get in a bind I am only 45 minutes away from you. My basement is earning it's name as a local ATV repair shop for all of my buddies (their shops don't have heat!) So if you need some help bring it on over. Get all of the parts and we can have that piece running in about 2 hours.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I actually saw one on ebay yesterday that wasn't a .80 bore I'f i find the link i'll post it.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...14QQitemZ330206581445

Here is a whole top end rebuild kit, not a bad deal for the price...
or if your cyclander is in good shape and dosen't need a bore here is a stock JE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the help pmcc37, i like that kit it takes the guess work out just replace the cylinder! Hey raptor that sounds awesome my shop doesnt have heat either nor does it have a floor!!! I really want to learn all i can from this rebuild so ill be more prepared for the next one.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

no problem, tell me how it turns out.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Mechincock- I have a question, Why are you running Mudlites in the front, The 2001 I had, had them on the front, and I took them off, wieghted to much. Just wondering.

Quick Reply: Top end rebuild Warrior (88)