Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Crank balancing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank balancing

I need my crank balanced to a longer rod and bigger piston.... Anyone know of a good place to send it?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Crank balancing

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I need my crank balanced to a longer rod and bigger piston....
Thanks</end quote></div>

Not sure anyone is following you here. Do you need it balanced, or do you have a longer rod i.e. stroker kit? If you have a different rod afaik you'll need a new crank to match. And you'll need to bore your cylinder for the piston.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

Not sure how to make it more clear.... I need someone who has the machinery necessary to make the crankshaft counter weights to be balanced to my bigger piston and longer rod. Lots of guys are telling me I dont need to balance it, but I want to do it anyway.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

I have a stock crank. I'm putting a +4 rod on the stock crank. I have a guy that says there's no problem doing that. Ok. Now, the stock piston size is 66mm. I want to hang a 70mm piston on the end of the rod. This also can be done. The only thing remaining is balancing these bigger parts to a stock crank. I'm not accepting, "you don't need to balance it." as an answer, lol.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

I see. What wheeler are we taking about? 2 stroke? banshee?

As for the piston, yes there is no problem with that but you must bore your cylinder to fit a 70mm piston in a 66mm hole. As for the longer rod I'm not sure here. Maybe I'm not in the know but if you go up +4mm on the stroke because of the rod it has to be compensated for somewhere. I mean if you make the piston come up 4 extra mm it will smash your head right?

Usually see the +4mm stroker crank and I believe it comes with the matching rods.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

Its a 230 quadsport. Putting a 260 kit in it. The stroke remains the same, 67mm, even though the rod grows by 4mm. I'm already at max bore, so I need to resleeve anyway... So, why not a sleeve big enough for a 70 and 71mm piston? I'll go with the 70mm and that will give me one more overbore.

Yep, the piston will smack right into the head if I dont add some shims to the base gasket. I wanted to deck the piston anyway, so I'll "probably" only need 3mm worth of shim. The next variable is the cam chain, but I'll cross that bridge later. First I need to find someone that can balance a crank from an atv rather than a lawnmower or car.

I think the banshee gets a +5 rod, 110 to 115mm and the stroke "I think" is a +4. The banshee is way under stroked anyway (at 54mm), it needs all the help it can get in that department.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

Ah, now I see. Ya, the shims will make up that difference where I was missing. I don't have any experience in the stroking department and I don't know the tips and tricks but, the thread kinda intrigued me. Thanks for letting me pick your brain and sorry I couldn't help you.

You could check the local small engine services and see if they have the equipment.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

The local guys would do well to put a 1mm bigger valve in a head.... Let alone balancing a crank. I get a lot of blank stares when I start talking anything other than oem stuff. Balancing is not something anybody really does anyway because, for the most part, you can get away with not doing it and just living with a quad that vibrates a bit more than stock. I'm beyond the point of just a little vibration and I have to worry about engine damage do to the extra component weight. Not to mention, a quad can rev higher if its in balance.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Crank balancing

Attention Quad Patrol. Do you guys mind if I post this topic again in another board? Not getting many hits here. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank balancing

Check with Alba Racing.

Email: performance@albaaction.com
Phone: 858.413.2556

Quick Reply: Crank balancing