Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Top end warrior rebuild

Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end warrior rebuild

Ok so im ordering the kit on wed to rebuild my warrior!!! spent the weekend getting my shop and tools in order and doing research. Seems to me the main point of concern while rebuilding the top end is ensuring that your timing is correct and that your motor sprocket and rear sprocket are alligned. I dont want to tear back into it once its back together (although i will if i have too!!) to correct something that should have been done right the first time.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

You are right on with making sure your timing is right, but the sprockets don't have to be in any order alignment as far as tooth wise, and should still be striaght in geometric alignment since your not removing any of the rear axel. Or did you pull ur whole motor?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well ok thats a question how hard will it be to rebuild without removing the engine?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

easy, except the head bolts on the warrior are a Bi*** to get out, once they clear lean the head forward and take them throught the front of the frame in between the wiring harnesses. I wouldn't recomend taking the motor out for a top end job, to much work. Its not hard, just make sure you have all the parts when you go to do it, or it will get aggrivating, having to leave it sitting in peices, then finding the time to get back to it

Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Cool, yeah that is why im going with the je kit and im attempting to complete this rebuild in a day so i wont have to go back and re-figure out what i was doing.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Definately will run strong, are you putting in a new cam?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure, hadnt thought about it nor priced it either. do you know the pro's and con's of not changing or changing the cam?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

there are alot of pro's, and alot of diffrent opinions on cams, me personally I'd go with the hotcam as it will go right in without heavy duty valve springs or any head work for that matter, though I would recomend getting new the head checked out to make sure the guides, seats, and valves themselves are ok.
The con is you have a 1988 warrior, proabably with lots of hours and wear on it... If you leave the stock cam in there, that is proabably worn out, you will loose some of the HP gian you will get from the top end rebuild, atleast put in a new stock cam, thought I don't suggest it, and it proabably cost more than a hot cam. Maybe not.
Now people will get on here and tell you to buy a webcam, they are great cams, however they do require heavy duty springs, which are a pain in the *** to put in, which require some clearance work, so you would have to have a shop do it, and there is another $200 off the bat. Plus it makes the warrior, which already has issues, harder to start, inturn less reliable.

Hope all that made since.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

well if i were to do it, it would be with a stock cam, like you said its an 88...i want it to be reliable and have the power it was meant to have. This may be a dumb question but to replace the cam you have to do what? because like we talked about im going to leave the motor in the frame could i still replace the cam? Or would i have to remove the motor to do so?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

When you take the timing cover off, and take the timing sprocket off, there are 2 bolts that hold the cam in you will take them out, and there is a bearing there, it should slide right out. you can do it once you get the head off since it has to be removed anyways, one note here, make sure you don't drop the timing chain. you'll end up with a mess if it comes off the bottom sprocket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top end warrior rebuild