Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Race fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race fuel

I keep my banshee stock, but I wanted to know if I run 110 octane cam2 will it hurt the motor by getting too hot?
and will the quad run more efficient and more responsive with the cam2?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Race fuel

It will make it smell better if nothing else, without any performance mods the gains will be small but it will run a bit cooler.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Race fuel

just as a hint it will hurt performance on a bansh. you want to run as little octane as possible for the best performance. the more performance mods you do the higher octane you will run

Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Race fuel

My cousin runs a pretty stock 450R Honda on race fuel, and was telling me that I should switch my 450 over. Would it be worth while with my current setup? Pretty much what is in the sig, NMotion, FCI intake, and rejetted to match.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Range Rover
Default Race fuel

I paid the price for 110 one trip to moses lake when I lived in WA. It did smell a hell of alot better. It seemed like it had a little more *****, but I also had that thing revved pretty high the whole weekend in the sand. I was told the same as cynick said about octane not really doing anything for you unless the motor is built and modded, but I think it was worth it for that weekend. But since then I just fill my jug up with the highest octane available at regular pumps.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Race fuel

fair enough, Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Default Race fuel

from what i understand you should always burn as little octane as you can to get buy, if you over do it you will lose power.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Default Race fuel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DS650powe

from what i understand you should always burn the least octane as you can to get by with , if you over do it you will lose power.</end quote></div>

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Race fuel

Typically on a 4 strok motor under octaning is bad and over octaning is a waste of money.

The octane rating just tells you how reisitant the fuel is to igniting caused by heat from compression. When you under octane you get "pre-ignition" caused by the compressing air/fuel mixture in the cylinder which ignites the fuel before the spark plug ingites it. This causes "pinging", power loss, and will eat a hole in the top of your piston.

When you over octane you give your machine absolutely nothing. The fuel still ignites when the spark plug ignites it the same as if you were using the correct octane.

The reason why people use race fuel in ATV's is because they run a higher compression piston which causes the air/fuel mixture to heat up higher than the stock compression, therefore requiring a fuel more resistant to higher cylinder temps ie higher octane fuel.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned
Default Race fuel

That is correct.

I use several mixtures of pump gas mixed with Mr9, U4 or c12.

Mr9 and U4 are oxygenated fuels, which can increase horsepower if the computer is tuned properly. These fuels are very expensive at $6.50 per liter, and increase my 2006 ex-factory zx6rr rear wheel horsepower from 118hp to 125hp.
Usually I run pump gas combined with c12 or AMSOIL Octane boost (increases Octane by 7 points per 57L.) I actually run regular pump 87 fuel combined with Octane Boost on my superbike, and modified Miata with Link Management, as Regular fuel combined with AMSOIL octane boost is cheaper then purchasing Premium 94 fuel.

Diesels are the opposite. They require the fuel to ignite from compression, as opposed to spark. Raising the Cetane of Diesel fuel, improves combustion efficiency to increase power. Also improves low-temperature starting, fuel ignition quality and reliability.

Gasoline engines dont' want pre ignition or Pressure waves, as they are not designed strong enough. Diesel engines make the "nock, nock, nock" sound because they are igniting from compression. They are built stronger and heavier to withstand the pressure waves.

We also raise the octane to prevent pre-ignition from hot deposits in the combustion chamber. These deposits get very hot, and stick out, igniting the fuel before the spark can. Using a fuel improver additive with concentrated detergents to clean the combustion chamber deposits, intake valve deposits and port fuel injector deposits, eliminating the need for higher octane fuels.