Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 rear end

ok guys little help would be appreciated i thought i had this covered but i guess i dont im trying to get the rear bearings out of my rear axel i gone thu all the steps remove right wheel axel nuts etc. and after beating the snot of the rear axel finally it came out with a llittle help with some other tools i wont mention cause im shure it would make ever one kiringe lol but it came out but now im stuck with an axel still stuck inside the carrier and trying to figure out the best way of getting the axel out with out damageing anything any input would be greatly appreciated sems theyare pretty wedged in there did i miss a step there some some little trick ??
any help would be appreciated

Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default 660 rear end

I assume you mean a 660 Raptor? If so you should have left the carrier bolted to the swingarm and then beat the axle out. Then when you get the axle out remove the carrier from the swingarm. I replace my bearings last wek and this method worked great for me. Just make sure you don't beat on the end of the axle cause you will ruin the threads. I always use a deep well socket and slip it over the splines and butt up against where the hub rests against the axle. A piece of pipe will work, too but the socket works better.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 660 rear end

yea sorry i was refering to the 660 raptor i was going by a post i had read in the fourms here that said i should unbolt everything and beat it out that way so i guess what ill try and doing is putting it back together and starting over again but there was alot of dirt and garbage in there so il give that a shot

Old 02-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default 660 rear end

I'm sure there are different ways to do it but I have never removed the carrier first. Maybe you could stand the axle up and place the end on the floor on a piece of 2x4 or something to keep from damaging the threads. Then take another piece of 2x4 and place against the carrier and hit that with a big hammer to knock it off the axle?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default 660 rear end

It's defintely easier to remove the axle from the carrier then remove the carrier from the swingarm. I just use a 2x4 with a mini sledge to get the axle out. Doesn't hurt the axle at all.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 660 rear end

well ok heres the lates update.....
put every thing back together less tires nuts etc and beat the snot out of using a socket over the spline and also using a pice of wood
on the end to no aval no mid you this is an 04 we are talking about here so they have been in there for a while not shure what else 2 do but break down and take it to my local shop and have them press it outa there witch id rather not do at 75 bucks an hour so if anyone has anymore suggestion would be helpfull or unless yea live in the chicago suberbs and have a press i could use to get that sucker out there cause at this rate my efforts are falling flat on there face