Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 Big Bear 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of getting a Big Bear 400 4x4 and I was just wondering if anyone owned one and if anyone could answer my questions about them. I was wondering are they a good reliable ATV? Are they good in mud and snow? Are they good for towing? If you have anything else that could help me or inform me about any other information please respond. Thanks

Old 01-14-2001, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

The Big Bear is great for everything u have described above and a veryyy reliable machine.....Cant beat a yamaha

Old 01-14-2001, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

In terms of reliability the Big Bear is almost impossible to beat. I don't own a Big Bear, so I'm not just bragging about my own machine. I just know a few people who have had them for years, and it is truely amazing the abuse the motors can suffer without showing any evidence of it.
Of course the relibility record is the Big Bears best feature. When other things are considered, it doesn't compare so well with alot of ather quads.

Old 01-14-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I see old Big Bears all over the place around here so I imagine the new ones are as reliable or maybe even more.For pulling I would look at the Dual Range model even if it's just a 350.If you want a Dual Range 400 look at the Kodiak ,do not mix that up for the 400 Kodiak Ultramatic belt dive model.

Old 01-14-2001, 08:55 PM
jdm
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 b.bear 2x4 and I love it. It starts right up, keeps you dry in the mud and water and handles great. After getting stuck a couple of times this hunting season I kinda wish I had bought the 4x4 but "oh well". I think I will put some vampires on the rear to help a little before next season.

Old 01-14-2001, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

I had the 2001 big bear 400 and didnt like the shifting, full time four wheel drive, or the slow speed. Not to mention that the first 2 gears are very low and you barly get moving and your in 3 third gear. I always found myself shifting, trying to find sixth or seventh gear. I traded it after one week and got a kodiak!! A way better sytem and only 800.00 more to buy it. Go for the kodiak. Push bitton 4 wheel drive,liquid cooled,automatic, better fender and fit and finish,better top speed,high and low range,park, better storage under the seat, just an all around better buy!! Hope this help's.

Old 01-15-2001, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

You Cant Go Wrong with any Honda or Yamaha there all bulletproof my dealer has a 2000 Big Bear 4x4
New For 4495 that is an unbeatable deal..
PowerSports Tampa FL..

00 Foreman 450S
01 Rancher 350S
01 250EX on Order
all Box Stock

Old 02-28-2015, 02:20 PM
Mudduck
Default Big Bears forever

Originally Posted by Dave8888
I'm thinking of getting a Big Bear 400 4x4 and I was just wondering if anyone owned one and if anyone could answer my questions about them. I was wondering are they a good reliable ATV? Are they good in mud and snow? Are they good for towing? If you have anything else that could help me or inform me about any other information please respond. Thanks

We own 3 Big Bears (2x1999s/ 1x2001) all Purchased new and still running. While the Suzuki King Quads and Kawasaki we purchased are sitting under tarps (not running) because replacement parts are hard to find and when found, are expensive. We USE our Bears daily!!! they tow and go through mud constantly, if you take decent care of them... they just don't stop. the Kodiak is also awesome, they are a little too big for where we operate(small trails and a lot of overbrush). It seems the Bears are the right size. The 4X2 big Bear is lighter and more maneuverable and a little quicker than the 4X4 version and perfect for trail riding. it is much easier to steer, the girls like this one better than the 4X4s. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Tim1
I see old Big Bears all over the place around here so I imagine the new ones are as reliable or maybe even more.For pulling I would look at the Dual Range model even if it's just a 350.If you want a Dual Range 400 look at the Kodiak ,do not mix that up for the 400 Kodiak Ultramatic belt dive model.
The Big Bears and lost the low range Sub tranny in 1993, all "foot shift" 4x4 Yamahas have only the low 1st gear now including the older 5 speed foot shift Kodiak 400.

Lots of old Big Bears running around. If they have a weak point look if there is any seal leak at the read diff or swing arm.

There geared on the low side and will scream at 45mph and you will be looking for a 6th gear constantly, buts its a trail/work ATV and speed was not its thing.

LOL I did not notice the date of this post! 2001!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kodiaks are same size as Big Bears

The 4x4 Big Bear and 4x4 Kodiak are basically the same size and weight. Likewise the 4x2 versions of each. The 4x4 Kodiak is about 2" longer overall but .5" shorter wheelbase and weighs 7# more. The 4x2 model is 5# lighter than the BigBear. Those specs are for 1999 - 2003 models for those looking at used ones.

Originally Posted by Sarcrew
We own 3 Big Bears (2x1999s/ 1x2001) all Purchased new and still running. While the Suzuki King Quads and Kawasaki we purchased are sitting under tarps (not running) because replacement parts are hard to find and when found, are expensive. We USE our Bears daily!!! they tow and go through mud constantly, if you take decent care of them... they just don't stop. the Kodiak is also awesome, they are a little too big for where we operate(small trails and a lot of overbrush). It seems the Bears are the right size. The 4X2 big Bear is lighter and more maneuverable and a little quicker than the 4X4 version and perfect for trail riding. it is much easier to steer, the girls like this one better than the 4X4s. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2001 Big Bear 400 4x4