Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Smoking banshee

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking banshee

My banshee is smoking out of the right side pipe. its a white smoke with no real odor. I have replaced the head gasket cleaned the pipes and repacked the silencer and it still smokes. I have also cleaned the carbs and checked the reeds for damage. could it be possible that the head is cracked or damaged?
your help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Smoking banshee

Are you loosing coolant? If so, you have a bad gasket or crack. If not, do a compression check for both jugs and look for a difference in compression.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Range Rover
Default Smoking banshee

yes, I was losing coolent. and smoking. thats why I replaced the head gasket, I've been kicking myself though for not checking the head when I took it off to change the gasket. before the quad was smoking I had it ported and milled the head and re-arked the domes. Is it possible that the head could have been weakend when the work was dome to it?

Old 02-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Smoking banshee

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PaulV
Is it possible that the head could have been weakend when the work was dome to it?</end quote></div>
Yep; or you got into a water jacket somewere. Still could be a gasket issue? Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Smoking banshee

what do you mean I got into a water jacket?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Smoking banshee

A crack or grinding so much that it goes into the coolant passages. That will suck coolant into the engine just like a blown gasket can.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Range Rover
Default Smoking banshee

I will be pulling the head off tomorrow (again) Im thinking about getting a cool head for it. Not really sure what size domes to get??

Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Smoking banshee

who did your port work ?? and shaved your head for you ?? head could not be flat.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Smoking banshee

if your running on pump gas do not go smaller than a 20cc dome. if you just have your head checked make sure they pressure test it, the only true way to check aluminum for internal cracks, and also check for warpage on the head across in 3 spots and from corner to corner.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Smoking banshee

R&B racing did the work. they had an auction on ebay for port work. They did a great job on the port work. I also sent them the head to be milled and redomed and I think they may have messed up the head. I dont like to bad mouth anyones work unless Im possitive they messed it up. So I dont know if it was bad work they did on the head. I think I'll just buy a Noss head with 20mm domes and be done with it. I think that will be the easiest and best fix. Any pros or Cons?
Thanks for everyones help

Quick Reply: Smoking banshee