Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trying to decide on new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on new ATV

In the next few months depending on how my job goes I would like to purchase a new ATV.

One advantage Kawasaki has over the other brands for me is the dealer is only a few minutes away.

I have not test ridden any of the ones I have narrowed it down to because I still am not sure of my buying situation with work.

Who is better with the warrentys Kawi or Yamaha?

The three I have looked at on the net and narrowed it down to are
BF 650
yamaha Grizzly 450
Yamaha Wolverine 450

The wolvering is a little cheaper but I have not seen one in person. Do they really ride like a sport bike but with the advantage of 4x4 in the mud?

Beside for the extra power of the BF 650 over the Grizz 450 is there any other thing that should make me choose the BF?

How are dealers about letting you ride the machines?

I know you guys will be brand biased so I will ask the Kawasaki guys as well.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

How do you plan on using the quad? Just trail riding and recreation...or work too? Do you want a smooth, ride...or firm for aggessive driving?
Do you even need 4x4, almost all trails are friendly to 4x2, and if you ride in a group, you wont get stuck.
The grizz450 will feel tippyer than the wolv. Same motor and tranny, but they handle totally different.

I wouldnt worry about warrentee work. You only get 6 months from either, and chances are nothing will be wrong.
Some dealers let you test drive and some wont, the only way to know, is show interest, and if they think theres a chance you will buy from them, youll probably be offered a drive. Sometimes, its only in the parking lot, but its better than nothing.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

Not really much work. At most pushing/pulling one of my vehicles in a gravel drive but not very often. Maybe some day a plow.
But either of these is not likely.
I currently ride trails at the Badlands offroad park in IN. I go in a few mudholes every trip that 2 wheel drives cant go through. I like playing in alot of ruts from bigger vehicles and running over large logs and rocks.

Which feels tippier the Grizz 450 or the Brute 650 ? Notice I did noy say the 650I.

The 2 reasons I consider the Wolverine is that my Girlfriend likes playing around out in the faster spots with mild jumps and sections where a 2 wheel drive with the lighter front end are easier to handle on high speed repetitive bumps. I think those are called whoopties. The 2nd reason is it is cheaper then the Grizz or the Brute but yet still liquid cooled and selectable 4wd.

Can the front diff on the wolverine be moded into selectable locker like the griz and brute?

I need more room and money so I can own a few different ATVs.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

Will adding snorkels to the Grizz or Brute void warrentys?

Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

Hey...What Kawie 650 are you looking at? 650i or 650sra...different machines for different type of riding

hard to compare against Yamaha if don't know which one...

Thanks,

TK

Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

650 sra is what I am interested in compared to the griz 450. That is why earlier I said 650 not the 650I
I know the brute should have more power then the griz 450 but almost anything new will feel like it has power compared to my 96 300 bayou 4x4.

The wolverine of course is not really able to be compared to either of these machines.

Another thing I would like to know is while going up a steep hill wich is more prone to the nose coming up and causing a endover roll?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

Any more replies, please?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a wolvie 450 4x4 its the only bike Ive ever owned so i cant tell you anything about those other bikes except that I ride in every terrain and Im tired of pulling these bigger bikes out of stuff . The bigger bikes dont handle as well and as far as power goes in trail riding none of them can out run me and I get air on jumps that they cant. also climbing hills is nothing. never once felt like it was gonna roll. the front end seems to grab, climb, and run substantially faster up the steeper climbs than them bigger bikes. it has a slimer width that is awesome a going through tight trails at decent speed and it feels somewhat like a sport bike coming around bends and spinning the back end out into the turns . the only downfall of this bike is the clearence is lower than most but everything else makes up for it.all that said were we ride it almost impossible not to get stuck and the new people in the group look at me as if my bike is inferior but at the end if the day im pulling them out alot more than them pulling me out and they want to switch bikes for a while because they are wondering why my little wolvie is making their big bike look like just a bike that should be dragging deer out of the woods

Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tag75

Another thing I would like to know is while going up a steep hill wich is more prone to the nose coming up and causing a endover roll?</end quote></div>

I have had my Kodiak 450 (Grizz 450) climbing up ridiculously steep rocky grades and down as well (love the engine braking). I have also had to transverse inclines and it keeps up with all the other bigger and similar machines. It fits the tight trails better than the big boys.

It's as stable as any of the others and does not lack power to climb or go through mud.

The bigger machines will of course have a power (torque) advantage as well as top speed. They will of course use more fuel and usually cost more money to buy.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

The Kawasaki 650 SRA will destroy the Grizz 450 at everything easily and costs about the same. Now the wolverine on the other hand is a different machine all together. It climbs far better than anything I've ridden and I've been on a lot of machines including the 650 prairie, 700 prairie and 750BF. I'm fairly sure you can get a detroit gearless locker for the Wolverine that works automatically but that's another $300 on top of the new cost. For agressive trail riding with 4x4 capabilities you can't beat the Wolverine but the 650 SRA is 2nd in line IMO.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on new ATV