Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dial-A-Jet (installed)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dial-A-Jet (installed)

I was thinking about jetting my Wolverine but then I saw the Dial-A-Jet system and wanted to know if it was worth the extra $20 or so over a jet kit. I'm about to have the Hauck clutch work done along with a twin air filter.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dial-A-Jet

I just researched the same system. Looking over the actual design of the kit, it seems that it should work better than a standard jet. From what I could tell, it works on a vacuum style setup with more fuel flowing the farther the throttle is opened, kind of like having two throttles on the same carb...

Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Dial-A-Jet

I did a lot of reading on this and didn't find anything negative about it so I went ahead and ordered it along with the snorkel kit and UNI air filter. They say it gives carbed engines the throttle response of an EFI...I'll report in with my results after I get the system installed.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default Dial-A-Jet

Please let us know how it works!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dial-A-Jet

I installed Dial A Jets on both our machines and am very happy with it so far. A few things I learned so far. I am jetted at 9000 feet so I use the DAJ when I go to lower elevations. I installed the TPI valve also which lets more air into the box and seems to help at the higher elevations. I found that if I use the DAJ at the elevation for which I am jetted, I was fouling plugs and they ran like crap because it was running too rich. They sell a shut off valve so you can just turn it off when you are at the jetted elevation. You could also probably go to a higher jet and you might be able to use the DAJ all the time. It wouild also sputter sometimes on steep hills so I just installed their check valves to keep the gas from flowing backwards. I have yet to test them out though.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Dial-A-Jet

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spitsalottachew

I installed Dial A Jets on both our machines and am very happy with it so far. A few things I learned so far. I am jetted at 9000 feet so I use the DAJ when I go to lower elevations. I installed the TPI valve also which lets more air into the box and seems to help at the higher elevations. I found that if I use the DAJ at the elevation for which I am jetted, I was fouling plugs and they ran like crap because it was running too rich. They sell a shut off valve so you can just turn it off when you are at the jetted elevation. You could also probably go to a higher jet and you might be able to use the DAJ all the time. It wouild also sputter sometimes on steep hills so I just installed their check valves to keep the gas from flowing backwards. I have yet to test them out though.</end quote></div>

From what I read the Dial-A-Jet works best on machines that are a bit on the lean side. Most factory setups are already lean so adding a high flow air filter can make them way too lean. I know just pulling the spar arrestor out of my Wolverine caused it to lean out bad on the top end. Also do you have the snorkle kit for yours? They say they're a must on ATVs.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dial-A-Jet

Yes the snorkel kit is a must for ATVs. You don't want to be sucking dirt and water in. I put a zip tie on the snorkel tube where it enters the dial boot cause it tends to come out real easy while riding.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Dial-A-Jet

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spitsalottachew

Yes the snorkel kit is a must for ATVs. You don't want to be sucking dirt and water in. I put a zip tie on the snorkel tube where it enters the dial boot cause it tends to come out real easy while riding.</end quote></div>

Thanks for the tip...I'll remember that when I install it this weekend.

Oh and I'll photo document the installation if someone wants to use it for a how-to (or how-not-to) HAHAHAHA!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Dial-A-Jet

Well I got this installed saturday and did some riding and I have to say it was worth every penny. The install was so easy I kept thinking I missed something. I opted to convert the drain screw into the feed tube instead of drilling and tapping my bowl. I also opted to mount the jet with the strap instead of drilling my horn. I pulled my tank plastics off to route the snorkle up front beside the guages. After I finished the install I fired it up and hit the gas expecting it to have faster responce but it didn't. Then I looked at the tube and saw it wasn't filling up with fuel so I pulled out the manual and read it front to back. The Dial-A-Jet does nothing if the engine isn't under a load and the tube should only be 1/2 full of fuel so everything was looking good...time to ride. Right off I could tell with the bike in gear that it had more responce off the line but it still leaned out a bit on the top end so I dialed in one more click...WOW! This thing came alive and pulled hard to 52mph. I've still got 4 clicks more fuel to go (I installed it with it tuned lean).

The bottom line is if your bike is a bit lean stock (Wolverine) or it's jetted correctly and you intend to add parts (high flow filter/pipe) then the Dial-A-Jet is right for you. The throttle responce is very noticeable on my bike and I actually have to be more careful when riding my kids now. My kids love to hit the gas and go while riding with me and before I could just line it up and let them hit the gas but saturday after I installed this my little girl was with me and I lined it up and she hit the gas and it stood strait up from a dead stop!