Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is it bad to run my YFZ on choke?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to run my YFZ on choke?

I bought a new YFZ in November and the thing just takes forever to warm up. When I got bored of waiting for it to warm up I'd just run it for a little bit with the choke open. Now I've gotten into the habit of just always running it on choke sometimes for up to 10 min of heavy riding just to get it warmed up.

Is there any negative effects to running my quad on choke and is it normal for my quad to take 10 min to get warm?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I think the only thing it might do is foul your plug because of the heavy mixture of fuel

Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you might be too lean to begin with.

you shouldn't have to run with the choke on for 10 min.

I turn my choke on for maybe 2 min or so. Then it should idle just fine on its own.

What kind of mods have you done to it??

Did you re-jet at all??

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer

no mods yet. its really annoying how long it takes to warm up. I'll bring it back to the deal, its still under warentee.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

yfz's should idle for about 5~10 mins before even moving them, they engines are high preformance and are designed to run at a certain temp range, the exh. pipe heats up very quickly, but the engine itself does not. Best thing to do is let it idle for about that long, but don't leave the choke on longer then it has to be, about 2 mins should be good like 2fun said.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LT250rich

no mods yet. its really annoying how long it takes to warm up. I'll bring it back to the deal, its still under warentee.</end quote></div>

Well, if its under warranty, def let the dealership screw with it.

Otherwise, I'd just recommend you go up one size on the pilot, and maybe back the fuel screw out a turn or so.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LT250rich

no mods yet. its really annoying how long it takes to warm up. I'll bring it back to the deal, its still under warentee.</end quote></div>

Well, if its under warranty, def let the dealership screw with it.

Otherwise, I'd just recommend you go up one size on the pilot, and maybe back the fuel screw out a turn or so.

These two posts contradict each other. One says its fine that it takes 10 min to warm up, the other says it's a problem that needs to be fixed. Maybe it could be that its been cold in New Jersey and most of the time I have been running it, temps have been below 32.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I don't see where it would hurt anything to run it with the chocke on. My 660 is real cold natured so I ride mine with the choke on sometimes when it's real cold and I don't have any problems. All the choke does is "chokes" down the amout of air that enters your carb which creates a rich condition. A cold engines needs more fuel than a hot engine. If you re-jet it now, then it may be too rich for the summer temperatures.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I would not do this and here is why.
The air fuel ratio is skewed bad when you do this. All that fuel is washing down your cylinder and contaminating your oil. These race engines have little oil volume as is. Also, gasoline is not a good lube and that is what your washing away from the rings and cylinder.
Do you really want to add fuel to an already small oil volume? IMHO that is a bad idea.

A minute or two on choke; sure. 10 minutes, no way. I use as little choke as I can get away with.

Just turn the air/fuel screw out a bit. If your plug looks good go have fun. If not, jet the main up a jet or two.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

i was saying 2 mins with choke, depending 8 more with no choke just idle warming

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it bad to run my YFZ on choke?