Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 wolverine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 wolverine won't start

I have a 2000 wolverine, the other day I had to jump it off due to a dead battery. Once it ran for awhile it would crank up. I replaced the back light with a smaller one so it wouldn't get busted again, which took about 30 minutes. I tried to crank it again but it wouldn't. I charged the battery again and got it to crank the next day when it was warmer. Now it won't crank again. I took the plug out and grounded it the frame and it is sparking, might be a little weak though. I even took another plug and it was the same as the other. I'm not sure if the choke is working, I can't see anything moveing when I move the choke. If anyone has any ideas it would be helpful because I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound like its time for a new battery..Does it make a grinding noise some times when you try to start it??..But If I was you I would check the plug,clean out the carb and intake filter..I see you live in the south..But up here in the great white North when I have my Wolverine sitting for a wile I keep it hooked up to a charger so the battery will not freeze (had that happen once,when that happens game over for that battery) This is what I use..Great product..
http://www.pacificbattery.com/batterytender0123.html

Old 02-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. When I charged the battery it sounds fine when turning over. I did notice my plug was wet though. I noticed all the stuff you have on your wolverine and had a few questions. How do the Mudlites work, and do you have any problems with them rubbing? What size winch do you have, I was thinking about getting a 3000 lb. winch, or is that overkill? How do you like the Warn 424 select? I heard it makes it like a different 4 wheeler just by unlocking the front tires. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

yes the Warn 424 select is by far the best and funnest mod you can ever do to a older Wolverine..I tell everyone to get one,it adds a whole new sport side to the bike..My winch is a 2500lb warn,works great and the warn mount for the Wolverine tucks it right under the oil cooler..I'd say with a 03 25" tires are as big as I would go,you will start to lose bottem end torque and rubbing with any bigger..I use the mudlites for sloppy,muddy riding..But I have a spare set of OEM tires I throw on for dry conditions..The bigger the tires the more top heavy your Wolvy will become..In corners those mudlites bite pretty hard and will cause you to tip if not careful..I also put 1.75 inch Rhino wheel spacers all the way around and over-fenders/mudflaps..also great mods..Another great mod is the HMF slip on exhaust..But I do not recomend K&N air filters,I had one and had to clean my carb all the time and that was even with the outerwares cover..Stick with foam..Mine is still a work in progress,before spring I am installing a new hot cam,Wisco piston and rings and a new clutch kit..Sorry for the wall of text lol..But here are a few pics of what I have now(without the heel spacers installed)I by no means baby this machine,it's not pretty..But I ride hard and fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you going to go with a higher compression piston or keep the same bore. Where did you get the overfenders?
Thanks,
Kevin

Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

same bore,I'm not going to mess around with it that much,but the Wiseco is 10.25:1compression wile the OEM is 9.2:1,..I got my fenders from a guy thatmakes them himself and sells them on ebay,but I have not seen any listings of them in a wile..But I think Moose make the same fenders for the Wolverine..I love them,I stay much dryer with them..

Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, the one thing I hate about my wolverine is that you will get wet.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: toddmh

same bore,I'm not going to mess around with it that much,but the Wiseco is 10.25:1compression wile the OEM is 9.2:1,..I got my fenders from a guy thatmakes them himself and sells them on ebay,but I have not seen any listings of them in a wile..But I think Moose make the same fenders for the Wolverine..I love them,I stay much dryer with them..</end quote></div>

man i wish i can find a set of overfenders!!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

I am not sure if these are the exact thing you are looking for, but in my searchings, I came across this auction on Ebay the other day. Moose mud/splash guards

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ohyeahfriday

I am not sure if these are the exact thing you are looking for, but in my searchings, I came across this auction on Ebay the other day. Moose mud/splash guards

</end quote></div>

Those are pretty much the same thing I have [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2000 wolverine won't start