Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

dies out when giving gas!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dies out when giving gas!!

I have an 01 wolverine. motor is completely stock. It will start and run on choke only and when I give it any gas it will die out. The air filter is clean and I went through the carb 3 times and the local shop went through it too. compression tested ok 150 psi. and leak down test was ok. no tears in any intake boots and fresh gas. it is at the local shop now and when it warms up (really warm) it will run off choke but still can't give it gas. a new plug will turn black in a matter of no time. And it doesn't doesn't look or smell like it's burning any oil. shop thinks the valve seals could be worn, but the lack of blue smoke or smell tells me otherwise, I think they're blowing smoke!! and I would think that they'd have to be leaking pretty bad to make it not fire. only thing I haven't tried is the CDI box. Could that be the problem? the spark and timing were ok too. any other suggestions.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I don't know if the Wolverine has the same parking brake mechanism as the Warrior, but that sure sounds like what happens with the one on the Warrior when its engaged. Fiddle around with the parking brake mechanism on the levers (engage it, disengage it, jiggle it around) and see what that does.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would check the carb if you did not use it for a long time the new gas that is being sold now does not last as long with out being treated. this can cause and does cause carb problems.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Aidan

i would check the carb if you did not use it for a long time the new gas that is being sold now does not last as long with out being treated. this can cause and does cause carb problems.</end quote></div>

He said he checked the carb three times and the dealer went through it as well.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did check the parking brake and it seems to be ok. It acts different than that though. with that you can actually give it gas and it acts like a rev limiter. I can't even get it to move under it's own power.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Yeah, it is just a rev limiter, but sometimes it throws up all kinds of issues if its not completely working right. Are the jets/mix screw all at original setting?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah its pretty simple ur all wrong, I hada timberwolve and it had the same thing the main fuel line going to carb gets old and weathered so replace it and it will be like new.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will check into that a little more. I took the cdi box off a friends wolvy and will try that tomorrow. it's a cheap try anyways. I have to get it back from the shop anyways. I don't want him tearing into for nothing. I was just at a dead end. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll check the hose too but it looked ok when I had the carb off. and I blew backwards through the hose incase there was something plugging it up. It doesn't looked cracked either. I can change that though too. thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

If the hose isn't weathered don't waste your time.

Quick Reply: dies out when giving gas!!