Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP!! Starter questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Starter questions

Hi guys, I just bought a 2000 Wolverine and the electric starter doesn't work. The pull start works just fine though. The seller told me it was the starter solenoid but i figured i would double check with the forum.

I took a flat head and jumped the starter solenoid + and - and it turned over and the starter turned over but very weak. When I press the electric start button it doesn't do anything.

What you guys think?

**CORRECTION**.

I went outside and tried it again awhile ago. when the button is pressed, all you hear is a clicking sound coming from the starter?

new starter?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

maybe a short check threw the wires and make shure nothing is unplugged

Old 02-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have the battery load tested, and check the connections at the battery, for cororsion

Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's not the battery, at least that's not the reason why nothing happens when the button is pushed. You'd at least get clicking if the battery was causing the problem, as it is known that the battery is holding at least some power.

It could be a number of things. THe first thing I would check is that you're getting a signal voltage to the solenoid when you press the starter button. The small wire that goes into the solenoid should have about 12 volts between it and ground when the button is pushed, then of course 0 volts with the button released. If you're getting voltage there like you're supposed to I'd say that most likely it is the solenoid.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

**CORRECTION**.

I went outside and tried it again awhile ago. when the button is pressed, all you hear is a clicking sound coming from the starter?

new starter?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are you sure the clicking sound is coming from the STARTER and not the solenoid? Solenoid is under the fender by the battery...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

recon99 your right.. it is coming from the solenoid. when i hold down my start button i hear it clicking and once in a while the motor sounds like it wants to crank over.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Tap on the starter a couple times with a wrench or something.

Also check the connections on the battery terminals, solenoid, starter, and grounds for corrosion and that they're tight.

If all is good there then i'd go get that battery load tested. When a battery gets too low it will still turn the motor over slowly if you jump across the solenoid. but just holding the button won't crank it over because the voltage drop when the starter engages takes away the power than the solenoid needs to hold the circuit closed.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

thats wierd.. so i went outside and cleaned all the corrosion and its still clicking at the solenoid and starter barely going. i put jumper cables to it and it still makes that noise but the starter turns over the motor and starts on occasion. 80% of the time though with jumper cables to the battery it will still click from the solenoid and start on occasion.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

you could jump a wire from battery to the starter port, if it turns over then it could be solenoid or something else in route.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Starter questions