Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

hars to start in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hars to start in cold weather

i have a grizzly 600. when i bought it it had carb problems. found out it was the choke spring was to little. when they were trying to fix it they messed up the settings. i rebuilt the carb but had to put the e clip on the needle in the top position(richest) i have all stock jetting and all stock accesories. it runs great except for it is horribly hard to start (runs battery dead) but its also been cold since i have had it and when its running and warmed up if i try to go real slow it dies but if i go from quarter to full throtle it runs great. also when its been running for 2-3 minutes if i pull the choke it dies. im getting close with this quad any ideas would be great. i put in a new plug also

Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

When was the last time the valves were checked?? (a common cause for hard starting in cold weather as they start to stick...) If you're running a stock setup, the e clip should also be at stock setting. There must be another problem...

Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

I am having a similar problem on my 99 grizzly. it starts fine but you have to let it warm up for bout 10 or 15 minutes before u can ride cuz when u hit the throttle a little bit, it cuts out. after warmed up, it cuts out from idle to quarter throttle...anything from quarter throttle to wide open it runs great. it didnt do this till i rebuilt the carb. i bout a rebuild kit off ebay and followed the manual on how to do it. does anyone have an idea as to wut to try? its like its not gettin enough gas at low speed? thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you readjust the mixture screw? It probably needs another 1/4 turn richer

Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

does the mixture screw affect that much for the hard start. i know on mine now i cant use the choke at all it wont start. it will eventually start with the choke off but i have been fouling plugs just trying to start it. i have a 146 main and 42.5 pilot with the clip in the middle setting. my air screw is 3 1/2 turns out as per manual. i know it varys due to elevation but what would be the likly problem with hard start and cant use choke. i know the choke is working because soon as it starts if i pull the choke it dies. choke wont even work if i take off the airbox lid. once i get it running and warmed up it runs great unless you leave it sit a idle a few minutes then when you hit the gas it bogs out and dies then starts right back up.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hows the rubber diapham at the top lid on the carb? Maybe a pin hole or improperly seated. The plunger for the enrichener, might not be sealed up very well either, and when the 'choke' is pulled on....air goes thru the passage instead of gas.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

what does the enricher do? what all would it primarily affect. its running great now i ran it about an hour out in the ohio blizzard and it did great just hard to start and wants to die at idle only sometimes. i did find out that i had the wrong main jet it had a 146 and jet kit comes with a 143.5. on my choke the spring seems weak and the rubber boot around the nut going into the carb is gone could that have anything to do with it. i see the enrichiner but i dont know what it does? thanks for all your advise

Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

CV carbs cant use a choke plate, it interfers with the operation of the slide, so they came up with an enrichener. Cold motors need a rich mixture to run, and there are 2 ways to do that. Either reduce air(choke plate) or add fuel(enrichener). Theres a starter jet in the carb, and when you pull the choke ****, it opens a stopper, and allows the starter jet to add fuel. If it leaks, then it will add a weak mix, and the motor will be too lean.
Is it only hard to start cold? Its posible the valve lash is too tight, and should be checked. Those motors are known for the intake valve tightening up, and thats causes the compression to be low, making for hard starting on a cold motor. If the valves havent been checked in awhile, its probably a good idea to check the clearances.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

The mixture screw, is that the one that is supposed to be 3 1/2 turns out?... also would a different jet have anything to do with this problem?? cuz i would think that a rebuild kit off ebay would come with the factory jet, but i'm not positive...

Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes only hard to start when cold once it warms up it starts fine. sometimes when its idling warmed up it just dies for no reason then starts back up. checked the valves they are in spec and compression was on the high end of spec and held it good. could that rubber choke boot being broke off affecting anything by letting air in. it still has the rubber oring on the plunger. i will check that enrichiner to see if that has any problems.
trailblazer yes the mixture screw is the one supposed to be 3 1/2 turns out but im at about 4. as far as jetting it depends on elevation when you buy a rebuild kit it comes with one jet and it may not be right for your elevation i have a 143.5 in ohio and it seems to be great now. you may need a jet kit to play around with sizes.

Quick Reply: hars to start in cold weather