Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior help

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior help

today i put the 45 pilot in and adjusted my floats. only this time it stayed running when i had the air/fuel screw seated if i turned it out it would die. so i took it apart again and put the 42.5 pilot jet back in. put it all back together and it started right up with out the choke on. so i took the old plug out and put in a new one. ran it for a little bit messing with the throttle positions shut it off and pulled the plug. the new plug is black so i know i'm running rich.

Now should i mess around with my fuel screw or should i readjust my floats again. i did notice that when it was running and i shut it off just a little bit of fuel was comming out of the overflow tube on the bottom of the carb. it wasn't pouring out just a few drips at a time. i feel that i am getting close to getting this thing running right but i'm not sure which route to take...... air/fuel screw or readjust the floats??? or could it be the neddle? i noticed it was doing some popping when i would give it gas. my needle clip is in the middle position.

also when i give it gas and let off it stays at a high rpm. but if i hit the thottle it will come back down. could something be getting stuck? i cleaned everything in the carb.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default Warrior help

Was the fuel coming from the overflow tube on the bottom of the carb? If so, the float is sticking.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior help

When you do a plug chop like that you need to stay in a specific throttle range in order to get any kind of a meaningful reading. You can easily be running rich at idle, and then be totally different at other ranges, and vice versa. What you need to find out first is how your jetting is set at your different positions. At a minimum take a reading after it idles for a while to get your pilot range, ride around between 1/4 and 3/4 for your needle, and do a good long full throttle run for your main jet. You gotta figure out what's what before you start changing things, otherwise you'll never get it right.

As for your rpm's staying up after you let off the throttle, that's probably a jetting issue as well. I never saw this in 4 strokes, but in 2 strokes when you're too lean the engine will do that. Same thing even happens with my nitro r/c car.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior help

ok, can i do a plug chop with out riding it. i don't have anywhere near my house big enough to ride it like that. unless i drive 20-30 min. away. my backyard isn't that big either. if i can i'll just do it in the garage and hold the throttle at each position for a min. or so. i don't think i'm rich on idel cause i let it idel for about 20 min. and pulled the plug and it was clean. so i think i might be rich on either my needle or main jet.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior help

There's no way to check anything except the pilot without getting out and riding it unless you happen to have a dyno in your garage. Holding the throttle wide open or even 1/4 throttle for 30 seconds or more with no load on it just wouldn't be good for your engine at all...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior help

that's true i didn't think of that. i would do it in my back yard but i can't go out of 2nd gear. that's the problem. and i also can't go up and down the street because people will probably complain. but then again i can always wait till i go riding again. which shouldn't be too long since it's starting to get wamer out.