Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New have some ?'s

Ok I have been looking around for an ATV or dirt bike for a little while but I think I finally settled on a quad. I recently saw a 2001 Blaster for sale with "It has the toomey exhaust kit all black plastics with race fenders. V-force reeds and aluminum rear wheels." that is from the article. A couple questions. first, I am 5'11'' 200lbs is this thing going to be big enough for me? Also how good are these ATVs I know they are 2 strokes which i do not have to much experience with but i do know how to turn a wrench so that doesn't bother me to much. Are these quads problematic?
I don't have to much riding experience. I have been on a 400ex and 300ex for probably a total of 5-7 hours a long time ago.
He is asking around 1200 is this to much? if so what should i ask for? also anything else you can add would be great anything to looks for and what not when i inspect it if i do.

thanks in advance

Old 03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5"11" and 200 lbs is going to be big for a Blaster anyway you cut it. You are much better off looking for a Z400/400EX for a first quad at your size.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am 5 11 and about 190 and i have no prob gettting around on my blaster..but i would much rather have a 400 than the blaster

Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

Much too big for the Blaster. The 2-stroke is a good way to go, however, a bigger engine in this case is more prudent.

I'm 5'7" and my Raptor 250 is a little small for me. Strong, but small. The Blaster is about the same size as that. Go with a bigger one.

About the price: that's a pretty good asking price. Blasters aren't really known for blowing to pieces and costing thousands to rebuild, that is if you take care of it correctly.

In the Yamaha line-up there is the bigger Raptor 350, the track-killing YFZ 450, the huge and slightly tippy Raptor 660, and the ever-popular track/trail ATV: Raptor 700.

They get bigger as the displacement goes up, of course. Good luck finding the perfect ATV, though. Find it and ride it into the dirt!

(All views are opinionated, for anyone that doesn't agree)

Old 03-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Awright now,.....be careful what you do with this. I already see that you have been told you're too big for the Blaster, but I'll disagree. I'm 6 foot and 200+ but mine (2 of 'em) scream with me big butt on 'em. They even take a bit of jumpin'. (not much of course, cause I'm an old fart too...43 years old) I put mine throught the paces when I ride and they do pretty good.

Now, If you aren't afraid of the price, YFZ450 is likely the best bang for the buck sport Yamaha you'll find. Not too big, not too small for your size. Very fast, very good handling machine.

Funny thing about the sizes of these four wheelers. There's sucha small jump in size with each cc step, I find it difficult to see the big deal, unless you move up 3 or more cc groups. Yeah, there's a differnce to 'em all, but the size is typically not it. They get different in shape, and CG and weight,, making them more suited to bigger harder riding, but even moving from a YZF450 to a Raptor 660 doesn't feel that much bigger to me until you start riding....

If you don't have much experience, then I recommend the cheaper quad that you might be able to recoup most of your bucks on later, and get really used to riding, and go out where people are and most of them are so proud of their scvooters they'll give you a few minutes on one to show you what the difference is for real.

One day I'm gonna have enough info to produce a Buyers guide based on these items. I see an awful lot of "is this the one for me" questions on this forum. And that's just on THIS forum. Lord knows there's more of them other places.