Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Man..I love my Wolverine But....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Man..I love my Wolverine But....

Yamaha lists my Wolverine as a sport quad,then cut every corner it could in the sport area of this quad,now after 2 frame breaks in 2 different spots on two seperate runs I have to dump 1500.00 into my suspension to even my this thig survive in the sport arena..I love what yamaha wanted to do,I need a quad that has a ute aspect but is sporty at the same time,but man they skimped on parts Ohh well,I love my money pit,I guess I'll just keep dumping money into it till the tires fall off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Just what have you done to your Wolverine to do this? I have a 95 that has thousands of hard miles on it, been jumped like a motocrosser, banged over rocks and logs, and never gave me a bit of problem. Nothing frame related has ever broke on mine,just a lot of bent rims and scraped skid plates.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I ride it pretty hard..but not extreme or anything..My nemesis seem to be this one 10 ft table-top at a ATV park I like to ride at in the mountains of Pennsylvania..*sigh* Maybe its because I'm 180 lbs..But who knows,I still lover her though and will fix her up and do it again lol

My wife not so happy with what I do to this poor bike and what a hit our bank account gets..but Ohh well it's my sport and I love it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a he!! of a break when you weld it back reinforce it a lil and when you buy shocks be sure to get them valved for your weight and riding style!!! and when yamaha said sport i think they didnt plan it for the track flying threw double's or across table top's more along the line's of being able to flick it around and have a lil top end to her id try and stay clear of the track's or atleast take it easier because that sure is a nice ride be ashme if she got too broke up and with all the money your putting into it you could buy a used true blue sport quad and use it for the track and bust out the WOLVERINE on the muddy day's and let it shine at what it does best....

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weld that frame up good, then put the $1500 towards a 400EX or something along those lines. You will be much happier jumping a true sport quad anyways and not so much wear and tear on the Wolverine.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 95wolv

Just what have you done to your Wolverine to do this? I have a 95 that has thousands of hard miles on it, been jumped like a motocrosser, banged over rocks and logs, and never gave me a bit of problem. Nothing frame related has ever broke on mine,just a lot of bent rims and scraped skid plates.</end quote></div>

yeah same on my 2001 wolvy havent had any issues frame wise... maybe you got a bad frame or something... but im 180lbs as well so i doubt your weight is the issue

Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have the bike almost completely broken down now and am going over that frame with a fine tooth comb,the guy that does my welding work is a master,hes been welding for 65 years..He knows his trade,I know he will fix it even better than it was before the brake..I will not change my style of riding,it is a rush for me and I love it to much,but like I said..I want the best of both ATV worlds..It is very hard to get this as we all know lol..

But A guy in my club,plus all my web searching..Tells me that.. for I need,Works Performance shocks is what Is the way to go..Elka's are nice but very pricy and are for hard core racers..The Works shocks will be my last mod to this machine(per my wife lol ) and I agree..It's getting old and I have already doubled the money I put into than I paid for the bike lol

I think my OEM springs are just to warn out for the riding I do..

Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

I would look into doing one of two things before you buy the works shocks. I had the low end from works before and they aren't bad but don't even have pre-load adjustments. I would look at picking up stock shocks from a YFZ450 or Raptor and having them revalved/sprung. Another option would be to look into HLS suspension from GT Thunder. Laz Sommers is one of the best in the business and a lot of racers buy the Elkas and then send them to him to get them set up correctly. I think for a little bit more in price you'll get a premium quality shock.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ttaylor

I would look into doing one of two things before you buy the works shocks. I had the low end from works before and they aren't bad but don't even have pre-load adjustments. I would look at picking up stock shocks from a YFZ450 or Raptor and having them revalved/sprung. Another option would be to look into HLS suspension from GT Thunder. Laz Sommers is one of the best in the business and a lot of racers buy the Elkas and then send them to him to get them set up correctly. I think for a little bit more in price you'll get a premium quality shock.</end quote></div>

thanks for the info..I am looking all over and having much luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]