Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 No Fire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 No Fire?

Put a brand new GYTR full exhaust on it, started up great, drove it fer hour er so.. brought it home, 2 days later no fire?i tried rectifier, pulsar coil, pickup coil, plug, plug cap & wire, wire harness seems to be fine, batteries good... magnetos good too? only thing i can think of is CDI butthe dealershipe says thats the last thing it could be!? someone give me some ideas... thanks!!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

I'd lean torwards the CDI to if everything else is okay like you say, I don't know of a way to test it though

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea..CDI runs about 100 some bucks haha...should be great...but yeah... could be a pinched wire.. my back light always flickered too tho!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

I assume from the statement "no fire" you mean that the engine turns over from the starter, but doesn't "fire" and run? Unplug the regulator and see if the bike now runs. If it does, you have a short in the stator windings between the charging and the CDI high voltage coils. Stator will need to be replaced.

BTW, you can get a used, perfectly good CDI on eBay for around $25.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

you were right i just went out n tried unplugging the regulator, and i got a spark from the sparkplug... i never tried startin it.. but i got a spark which i didnt have before!so ur sayin that i need a new stator/magneto?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure it runs, but yes, the magneto's stator has a short. You could try to find the affected wires and insulate them, but I haven't seen much luck in attempts. If the short is at the insulation in the output wires (right where they are soldered to the windings at the stator) you may be able to fix it. If the short's because some enamel wore off of the wires deep inside the windings it's a lost cause unless you're an expert at unwindind and rewinding things like motors and alternators.

If you have a good, strong battery you can run as long as you want without the regulator connected as long as you keep the battery up with a charger when at home, don't use your lights except in emergency, and bring jumper cables along to your rides just in case.

Good Luck!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you sir! greatly appreciate it... running the bike without the regulator wont harm the bike in anyway?????

Old 03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

its starting awful hard, it hasnt been running in awhile? kinda scared if i try turnign it over to much it will burn the starter out

Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Running without the regulator won't hurt the bike... BUT, unless you charge the battery regularly, it may reduce the life of the battery. No other issues except you may need your jumpers sometime, lol.

How long has it sat not running? If it's been more than a month or two, I'd suggest draining the gas tank and refilling with new fuel... run the bike for 20 minutes or so with the new gas and see if it will start more easily. If not, you probably need to remove, disassemble and clean the carbs. As fuel sits in the carb float bowls, the volatile portion evaporates away, leaving a gummy, gunky varnish that gums everything up.

If you are going to leave the bike for a while, always drain the float bowls by closing the tank petcock valve and idle the bike till it runs out of gas. Also add Stabil to the tank to preserve the gas that's in there or drain the tank and use the gas in your car, lawnmower or whatever. Gas only lasts a month or 2 without a stabilizer like Stabil. OR, just start your bike and let it idle 10 minutes till warm every 2 weeks or so (still add Stabil). This keeps the oil circulating, the carbs clean and the battery charged.

Overly long starting (more than 30 seconds or so) can lead to starter failure. Just crank it for 5-10 seconds then let it cool down for 30 seconds or more, than do it again.

Good Luck! Hope you're out riding soon.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

I have the exact same issue with my wife's 350. NO SPARK! Even replaced the stator, and still not firing. So disconnect the regulator?

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 No Fire?