Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

swingarm axle will not break free...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swingarm axle will not break free...

Hello all, hoping someone here has some insight on this. I bought a 1990 warrior for really cheap. I am in the process of tearing it down to do a complete rebuild on it so my friends have something to ride. I have gotten everything apart on it, except the axle that holds the swingarm on. I loosened the nut and have tapped on it to try and pound it out. I have also tried loosening it from the other side not knowing if its threaded into the frame. The service manual i have shows nothing about removing it, and every other atv i have torn apart, the axle just slides out and the swingarm drops. Any help would be appreciated in this!

Thanks,

David

Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Pro Rider

its not threaded, its just very rusted. there is a shaft in there in between the bearings and it and the nut are proabably rusted together.

You have two options leave it until it brakes (proabably never). or get the cutting torch out.

I had to do this 2 weekends ago..... it sucks.
And keep a jug of water around to keep the flames down. the aluminuim melts long before you cut through the bolt. And then you'll proabably have to beat it out anyways from the lower end.

Oh yeah you have to cut the head off on the right side as well or it still wont come off.

Unless you have just a frame then take it somewhere and see if they can press it out. will save you $100.
Thats what a new pivot blt and swingarm is going to cost

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider

its not threaded, its just very rusted. there is a shaft in there in between the bearings and it and the nut are proabably rusted together.

You have two options leave it until it brakes (proabably never). or get the cutting torch out.

I had to do this 2 weekends ago..... it sucks.
And keep a jug of water around to keep the flames down. the aluminuim melts long before you cut through the bolt. And then you'll proabably have to beat it out anyways from the lower end.

Oh yeah you have to cut the head off on the right side as well or it still wont come off.

Unless you have just a frame then take it somewhere and see if they can press it out. will save you $100.
Thats what a new pivot bolt and swingarm is going to cost n ebay