Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster wont start when it does it will die

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster wont start when it does it will die

Well i was riding yesterday and suddenly the blaster just acted like it ran outta gas and as it was still rolling and running i switched it to reserve and it didnt do anything just acted like it was outta gas until it died. Well it had half a tank of gas. It is premix 32:1. Well i kicked and kicked and once in a while it would start for about 5 seconds and die or if i gave it gas die imediatly. Well had my friend come get me in his f350 and came to the house switched the really old and black plug for a new one. Still wont start. I was wondering what it may be. Because it didnt sound different or nothing as it died. Sounded like it has before running outta gas. No sound change what so ever. It kicks over smooth and fine. Maybe electrical or the reeds? what do you guys think because its like 10 degrees and i have no heated garage to work in. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

could be a clogged jet which would block fuel from entering the engine.also check to see if you have spark. good luck

Old 03-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

CHeck compression mine did same thing and it was piston and rings shot.... also check to see if there is spark...... if spark take suringe and put little bit of gas in spark plug hole and see if it will fire.....

with the two stroke all you need is gas spark and compression and your sset let us know what it runs for compression

Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

A Myriad of possibilities - Mine had a bad coil. DEAD SHORT internally. Easy to check. Just follow the book (if you have one) I was riding when this one stranded me about a mile of pushing, away from the Trailer....

Also had a bad Stator coil once. Well,.......turned out to be the wires were brittle and broken. Vibration does that over time. I suspect my Stator and wiring were about 18yrs old when it finally gave. Replaced the assembly and got spark again. Joy!

First thing to do in your case is determine whether you have the 3 elements.
1) Spark
2) Fuel
3) Air

Have to have all 3. Figure out which one's missing then get back to us, We'll be a lot of help. (start with spark, It's the easiest to tell if it's bad, look for clear blue spark from plug while kicking, of course with plug out of cylinder grounding threaded portion to outside of Engine cylinder/case/whatever....)

Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Ok well it has spark and air, i took off the carb the jets were clean but i found out that somehow one of the tors cords got cut right on the carb. it must have broke in the cold some how. So now i need to figure out how to fix that.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

You can wire the two wires together til you can get a new switch, or repair the one you have (a real bear to replace wires on, at the very best) ebay a used Tors Box with switch wiring intact or go buy a new one. If you read muc of my posts you'll notice I am considering changing from the TORS system to a tetehr type kill switch for safety. You'll need to do some relatively simple changes to modify to such a change, but I believe it would be worth it.

To recap:
take the broken wire from the TORS assembly and short it to the non-broken one to make sure it's gonna cure it. This can be used as a temporary bypass if you connect it properly.

If you're feeling good about it, just cut the other one and tie 'em together. If not, strip back a little insulator in the middle of the good one and tie it around/through the un-cut wire.

Just in case I'm preachin' to the choir, most of this is intended for anyone reading including the OP.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

thanks terrell i "tied" together but now it doesnt have any idel since there is nothing goin to the carb. It will run but no idel. just dies. So im going to get the tors eliminator kit so it can idel. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Range Rover

i took off my tors before i got the kit. to get an idle i bought an 1/4" x 2" machine screw and matching square nut. i put these into the thumb throttle where the wires enter. but i left the rubber gromet there to hold the screw . there is a perfct spot inside for the square nut. the screw touched the metal arm where the cable attaches. I could adjust idle with the turn of the screw. i was desparate to ride untill my kit came and this worked great.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

Adjust the idle up by shortening the cable at the throttle mech on the bars. Idles a bit high to stay running but works. I should have mentioned that previously.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

Ok now my blaster wont start at all. I spliced the orginal ones back together black to black, black and yellow to black and yellow. and it wont start at all. doesnt even try. then i took a splice thing my dad had and spliced them but then it still wouldnt start. 45 degrees out and everything. has gas oil and everything. jets are clear. IM about to throw a match at the damn thing. now what do i do?