Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz nitrous?

i have a 2006 yfz, with a fmf factory 4.1 slip on, and a k&n airfilter, with the airbox lid off, as far as performance. i was thinkin about doing nitrous. any opinions whether or not to do it? if i dont do nitrous, is there any cheap mods i could do?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz nitrous?

Sure, why not? It's will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Pain in the butt to fill the bottles but if you get 2 or three your good to go. Go for a wet system with safey switches and you will be fine.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz nitrous?

any ideas on where to get the system from? and is there any risk as far as reliability?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz nitrous?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: yfz45025
any ideas on where to get the system from? and is there any risk as far as reliability?</end quote></div>
As with anything like this there is always risk. BUT, if you do your homework, nitrous oxide is very safe. If you just slap a system on your ride and not understand how theses things work your more than likely going to get into trouble.
Another problem where people get into trouble is getting greedy. If a 20 shot is good than a 40 must be twice as good type of thinking. To keep a system reliable a good rule of thumb is shoot no more than half the engine power. This rule goes for an average engine. If the engine is fragil, then you have to shoot less; maybe none. If the engine is built, then you can shoot more.

As far as systems go, I'm an automotive person and I have used several brands of systems. I think NOS makes a very good system with very good parts. I'm sure there are others out there that work just as good for a good price. It's just when I find a product I like I usually stick with that brand.

If you do your homework, you can put together a system real cheaply. You can find single solinoids at swap meets very cheaply. Get a gas and a N2O, a few pieces of tubing, some wireing, a nozzle, buy a new tank and your good to go.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz nitrous?

all this is very confusing to me, but i'll figute it out. do you know how much it is to fill up a two pound tank? and i found a system made by nos and it says it is adjustable from 10-100 horspower. 100 horsepower?! thats a lot, is that safe?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Range Rover
Default yfz nitrous?

im sorry to say it but i'd say nitrous and a boost bottle is about the
worst thing you could get on an atv. they make atvs pretty unreliable,
that is unless you like to wrench on your atv a lot

Old 03-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default yfz nitrous?

i was bored a few months ago and looked up places that had noss for quads , pocketbikes or dirtbikes. the places i found are nitrousdirect.com (the cheapest), holley (the one that make carbs for cars), nitrous express, fusionextreme.com, boondockers (expensive but the safest), bossnoss(expensive but its used alot by the canam guy). noss is 100% safe if you dont put in more then the engine can handel. for these engines it is 15hp shot. its safe on a stock motor 20hp shot or higher the bottom end will be fine but the topend won't the values can float causing them to hit the piston in other words failure and a costly rebuild. i read to run more noss up to a 40hp shot you need stiffer value springs, thickerhead gasket, a stronger connecting rods and a programable cdi to retard the timing 3-4 degrees. i heard 2 stroke motors handle noss better i was told a banshee can take 30-40hp shot completely stock but that sounds a bit high to me can anyone till me if thats true or not.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz nitrous?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>do you know how much it is to fill up a two pound tank?</end quote></div> It varies a lot. Seen it from about $3.00 to more than $5.00 a pound.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>and i found a system made by nos and it says it is adjustable from 10-100 horspower. 100 horsepower?! thats a lot, is that safe? </end quote></div>
Did you miss my first post? Here is the #1 rule if you missed it.
Another problem where people get into trouble is getting greedy. If a 20 shot is good than a 40 must be twice as good type of thinking. To keep a system reliable a good rule of thumb is shoot no more than half the engine power. This rule goes for an average engine. If the engine is fragil, then you have to shoot less; maybe none. If the engine is built, then you can shoot more.
For example: If you have an engine that puts out 50HP stock, then usually you can safely shoot a 25HP shot of nitrous to give you a total of 75HP.

There is no need for stiffer valve springs with any shot of nitrous IF you keep the engine in a safe RPM range. If your a crappy rider you might want to get some because the nitrous will make the engine rev VERY fast and some riders can't keep up with the shifting. Then the engine will go beyond the RPM range of the springs and the next thing you will hear is a big bang!!! A rev limiter won't save your motor in this case. The nitrous will RPM the engine so fast that the limiter can't kill the cylinder fast enough to save it.

Just like anything in life. There are rules to follow with this stuff. If you don't follow them there is a good chance bad things will happen. If you do follow these rules Nitrous has the biggest bang for the buck of any power adder.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz nitrous?

ok thanks guys. well i think my motor puts out around 50 horsepower, but just to be safe i'd probably only shoot under 20. if i were to shoot 25, how long can i shoot for safely?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default yfz nitrous?

On a wet system, until the bottle runs dry. ON a nitrous system it's not so long as when you can shoot. The more RPM the more you can safely shoot.

Quick Reply: yfz nitrous?