Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP!!! And I'll buy lunch

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! And I'll buy lunch

I'm looking for some more ideas as to what is causing my problem. Here is a brief overview of what is happening. If I hit a puddle of water at speed and splash hard into the fender wells or go through a deep hole, the atv will start cutting out for a few seconds and then will clear up and be fine. I have pulled the plastics and saturated every electrical connection I can find while I have it runnig and cannot recreate the problem. I have hosed down the carborater, thinking that possibly it was taking water. Found nothing! Just recently replaced the ignition coil and plug wire. Nothing there either. Something, somewhere, is getting wet and grounding out. Any more suggestions? It's a 2000 Kodiak 2wd.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I dont suppose you have any kind of open air filter do you?Or maybe the lid off the air filter box.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

oh yea if that works,I like red lobster

Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

Unfortunately, nothing that obvious. Everything under the seat is dry when it happens. Trust me, I have checked. I have checked the plug also as soon as it happens and it's dry too.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Put some dielectric grease in the plug wire and try that.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Range Rover

I had killed it once after I had hit a 3-4 inch deed puddle and it wouldn't start. It was turning over, but no spark. That was the first thing I thought of and pulled the wire and plug. Both were bone dry. As I was getting towed back to camp, I thought finally, I can find what it is that's getting wet. But unfortunately it started back up when I was hoping it wouldn't before I could even troubleshoot it.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

This is odd.so lets try some odd stuff.Have you left the plastic on and sprayed under the fenders like water would hit it in a mud puddle?Is all electrical components bolted tight to the frame for grounding purposes?Maybe the splash of water is hitting loose components and making them unground.Have you sprayed water while the motor is revved up and not setting there idling?Does it lose spark or just wont start from some other reason?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

1997 Timberwolf with similar problems. Although It usually takes a foot or more of water. Dielectric grease in my connections waterproof grease around all my connections. Ignition coil and plug wire test normal.

Nuetral or reverse switch? is something I am going to play with when it warms up. Water getting behind stator cover? The starter sits right in front and catches all the crud? If you figure it out, tell me and I will get the tip.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

I actually did that yesterday. Had it on the lift, in gear, trying to put some load on it. I sprayed water all over the the headlights and 12 volt recepticle under the fenders. I waited till the fan kicked on and sprayed the connection to the fan motor thinking that might be it. I doused the spark plug area, nothing! I have taken all the connectors apart, cleaned and srayed a corrosion block on them. I have not put dielectric grease however in the plug wire that another gentleman suggested. I have not looked at the stater either. I am definately befuddled!!! And getting hungry!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

A follow up on what I have found so far, especially as to the steam issue that I read on another forum. Thanks for everyones input! I flushed the cooling system the other day, which according to the service manual, needs to be done every two years. You would think after spending $70 for it , I might want to read it more often, but anyway. I did find that the thermostat was improperly mounted. There is a tab on the head that the vent hole on the thermostat is suppose to line up with. If looking at a clock and the tab was at twelve, the vent hole was at five. Went ahead and tested the thermostat and it was in spec. Opened at 150 degrees. After flushing, I verified that the thermo switch was working by inserting a thermometer in the radiator while I got the engine up to temperature and the fan kicked on at 200 degrees. That was within spec. So as for now, the cooling system is operating properly. Hoping to test it in the real world on Sunday. I'll let you know the results.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! And I'll buy lunch