Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly wont run when wet

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly wont run when wet

i have a 1999 Grizzly 600. when i hit a puddle or creek hard something gets wet and it does not want to run. I have tried my air box but it does not fix it. I have dried my air filter and that is not it either. If i go slow and dont get it up to the fenders it does fine. This can take the fun out of the mud. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know what the problem is but there is a guy on here with a kodiac that does the same thing.Maybe you guys should get in touch with yamaha and see if this is a common problem.I've personally have never seen a yamaha do this but maybe yamaha has.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

Welcome to my agony! Sounds like you are experiencing the same exact problem that I am. Mine usally just starts sputtering, cutting out and then clears up in a few seconds. It has only died totally on me once. but the darn thing dried up before I could take a good look at it. The next time I go out. I am taking a grease pencil to mark on the plastics at what water level it starts acting up and go from there. that might give me an idea from what point to focus my attention. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's steam.......When the hot pipes hit the water the steam rises up through the plastics and gets into the air intake. I have'nt fixed mine yet either but I'm told by several 660 owners that the air box snorkle fixes the problem.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

You might actually be on to something there. I did notice yesterday when I was trying to duplicate this issue, while spraying water on the carborater, that the engine bogged down tremendously when the water hit the head and steam!!!!!! was everywhere. It didn't sputter and cut out so I didn't think much about it. My question though is why now would that cause an issue when, since 2000, up to about 6 months ago, this was not an issue. I know the carb needs a rebuild. Do you think that might help since that is something that has never been done?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

Now you really have me thinking. But thanks! It took forever for the fan to kick on yesterday, though the temp light never came on. I have noticed, since you got me thinking, but didn't think much of it at the time, that the engine has seemed to be running hotter lately. More heat more steam!!!. Probably a good time to check the thermastat and cooling system. A good flush might be in order, oil change etc. Get the engine temp down. Just another project, but thats why we enjoy them so much. Always something. I will let you know after all this is done if it helps.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also check your radiator fins for mud. I thought I had mine clean but when I had it out for my frame swap I found it was about 50% plugged. You might want to consider relocating it up on top if you do alot of mud riding.