Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help kodiak 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help kodiak 400

A couple questions here just got back from deployment and want to get wheeler running again its a 2004 kodiak 400 4x4 it has sat for about 2 1/2yrs now. Before i left it wasn't running good would start with choke on but would die as soon as the choke was off i am going to pull the carb ( first time working on machine) any tips and do I need a rebuild kit or gasket kit to do this? also never adjusted valves has always run good but wondering if i should do this while I am at it? also if there anything special i need to do this i have gap guages and basic automotive tools and dealer manual around here somewhere. any recommendations on while i have it apart this far I will be installing an inline fuel filter and changing the fluids do a lot of stream and river crossings and have noticed the rear end fluid milky before. I also have filled the tranny with water once drained it out and haven't had problems since not sure if i should open it up and check out while at it. Thanks for any advice greatly appreciated it can't wait to get out riding again.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help kodiak 400

Advice on any of these questions would be great thanks. dont feel like you have to answer all of em.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help kodiak 400

Well welcome back home for starters.
I think your belt drive should be fine, you will know when it needs to be cleaned as per mud getting inside of the drive pulley & will only accelerate up to 8-14mph.

As for you carb, I cant help you there. Im in the process of gathering info to install a jet kit & adjust my valves myself, sorry.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Help kodiak 400

First off - Welcome Home Man!! Great Feeling huh? I had that feeling on Nov 4th, 2005 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow... I would pull out the "I just got home from Iraq" how about a deal on a tune-up / etc[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You are on the right track - change all the fluids (front and rear diffs, and engine oil), Grease the Chassis, Check the brake pads, Clean the Airfilter and clean that Carb!

again Welcome Home and Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I had my fun up in Bayji - about 20 miles north of Tikrit

Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help kodiak 400

Thanks I was in Taji and Baghdad glad to be home. Hopefully will be able to get to it this weekend just had to buy a new battery original was junk. Oh and Deezz found this maybe it will help you, http://www.atvriders.com/articles/jetting.html

Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help kodiak 400

thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Help kodiak 400

The pilot jet in the carb is probably plugged sure by now. It was plugged up before , and is certainly closed, after all this time.(wont run without 'choke') That should be the only part you need to buy. Next time the machine needs to sit for more than a couple of days....make sure the float bowl is left dry, and the jets wont plug again. Either turn the gas tank valve to off, and let it idle til it dies, or use the drain on the bottom of the float bowl.
If you notice a drop in top speed, then the primary clutch will need to be cleaned out and the weights relubed.
If the valves havnt been checked in a while, then do them too. Ill bet they are still in tolerance, but its not a big deal to cheak the clearance. You might want to buy a service manual, ebay has them on cd for cheap.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help kodiak 400

welcome and thanks. just picked it up from my parents garage today new battery and started right up (even with 2 year old gas will be draining that) of course wanted to die and as soon as I turned off the choke it did die but was enough to get it into the truck looks like i will be having a little fun this weekend working on it. can the needle jet be cleaned or do i have to replace it? i have the manual just have to find it.lol.