Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly 700 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly 700 will not start

gotta a 2007 grizzly 700 fi. having a problem with the starting. like it won't. have checked all the fuzes and even replaced the fuel system relay. nothing. when hittin the start button the engine light at the top right of the display flashes. any ideas cuz am freakin out

Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

the display flashes? is the starter doing anything? it sounds like the battery may be low or have a bad connection. check and clean the connections and it it wont start, then try the next suggestion. you can connect it to a car battery with jumper cables to see if it will start. if that takes care of the problem, replace the battery.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If engine cranks but won't fire, remove the plug and check for spark, if no spark check ignition. If you got spark, check for fuel. If no fuel, check fuel pump for voltage to pump.

You haven't taken it swimming have you?. If you've sunk it, turn it up on end and drain the tailpipe, remove spark plug and crank it over to blow out the water in the cylinder then drain the oil to get water out of the lower crankcase. do this 4-5 times, along with the diffs. Don't forget the oil filter each time either, along with airbox.,

If you tried to crank it with water in the cylinder, you may have scored the rings, the cylinder, and the piston. Which means it's time for the repair shop.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

How do you check for fuel if you find out you have spark? I think my atv is starving for fuel and that is why it is having problems

Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Before you do anything, get a repair manual for your machine, You don't want to break a bunch of stuff disassembling your bike. I would suspect wiring shorts,corrosion, or chafing to fuel pump, check these with a multitester. Pull plastics and check wiring. Next check voltage to fuel pump. Then, pull pump and filter assembly from your tank. Most new bikes have pump in tank now. Check pump pressure with pressure gauge. Replace fuel filter.

If all listed above checks out ok, then test fuel injector. Finally look at engine control module (ECM). It is the most expensive part, that's why I listed it last.

I know this is alot of work, but your labor is the cheapest labor you'll ever pay for.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by mudmunky
gotta a 2007 grizzly 700 fi. having a problem with the starting. like it won't. have checked all the fuzes and even replaced the fuel system relay. nothing. when hittin the start button the engine light at the top right of the display flashes. any ideas cuz am freakin out
did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same issue and can not seem to figure it out.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was almost 6 years ago, I guess we will never know.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chazz,

You would be best to get yourself the Yamaha Service manual but here is information from the 2007 700 Grizzly Service Manual:

Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do know for a fact the code 12 CPS error can be related to a bad battery, bad battery connections where the ECU is not receiving the correct voltage from the CPS, and that will cause a no start. However, a non-start with a bad or low battery usually results in one of your relays clicking.

I recall reading somewhere that the Yamaha Service Manual can be downloaded on somewhere like tradebit.com for about $10 US.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I need an update of this grizz problem, i have the same one, no solution viewed. Some help will be apreciate. Chazz Stringer also have it. thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: grizzly 700 will not start