Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak Keeps Dying While Riding........Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Kodiak Keeps Dying While Riding........Thoughts?

I have a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak that starts great every time. Once I'm driving it, it will go along and then sputter and die. It seems like some sort of fuel problem, but I can't narrow it down yet. I recently replaced the choke cable as it broke off where it enters the carb. I put a new o-ring gasket on the carb bowl and new jet needle (set identical to old one with clip position, etc.) in the carb.

I thought it might be a vacuum issue, so I put a brand new gas cap on it. No dice.

I have a new fuel petcock for it, but haven't put it in yet.

My brother in law is a mechanic and said it could be a bad crankshaft seal which would cause the engine to die when warm. He said this would be a costly fix if it is the problem.

The engine starts great when cold. It will run fine for a few hundred yards and then it dies. I can start it back up and run another short distance before it dies again.

How would I check the seal my brother in law is talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Your brother-in-law thinks you have a two stroke. Have you tried running with the petcock on prime? In fact take the pipe off and see if you get a good stream of fuel when on prime. Your problem could be electrical too, a hot plug, coil, CDI, regulator, stator or signal generator can break down.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Run it with out a gas cap on to eliminate a fuel venting problem.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, thanks guys! My bro in law asked if it was a 2 stroke and I mistakenly told him yes. I'm a dumba$$, sorry. I just replaced the fuel petcock and it still dies after running for a bit. The old petcock looked fine - completely clean filters and no sign of anything being bad. The Kodiak still starts fine and runs, but bogs down and then dies after riding for a quarter mile, so it sure seems like a fuel problem. It turned over a few times and then started again after it died. I was able to pull it into my shop and let it idle, but then it died again after a couple minutes. I put a brand new gas cap on it a couple weeks ago thinking it was a venting problem after talking to my bro in law.

What else would cause a venting problem if not the gas cap? The only thing I can think of with my limited knowledge is the plastic piece the jet needle sits in within the carb....maybe I'm way off.

The CDI was replaced last year when I thought it was faulty, but it ended up being a bad battery.

How do I check the coil, regulator, or stator?

I appreciate the help.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I let the Kodiak idle in my shop. It idled fine for 10 minutes with the cap off and another 10 minutes with the cap on. What does that mean?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Think I have it solved......it was a real PITA, but I replaced the ignition coil. It seems to be running much better and not dying. And a correction to my post above which I don't know how to edit, I replaced the starter solenoid earlier, not the CDI. Good to go!