Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Won't Start, Couple of Problems

Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Won't Start, Couple of Problems

Hey, I just got my 2001 warrior 350 a few months ago. Its my first quad and not really familiar with them at all. It ran fine for awile but now it wont start. At first me and my friends figured just a dead battery because I could start it by pull-starting with my other friends quad. I went home charged the battery and nothing, still wont start. All that happens is it clicks one time and that's it. The lights and all still work though. My friend said it could be the starter or a solenoid. Any ideas guys? Id like to try and keep from taking it to a shop and just ordering a part and fixing it myself.

I do have one other problem with it that maybe you guys could help me with as well. Before it quit working totally on me, occasionally when I would go to start it, it wouldnt turn over, it would just keep cranking but wouldnt start up. But then my friend told me I had to rock it back and forth with it in gear and clutch in then releasing it. Then to try and start it again. Which when I did that after a try or two it would start up. Sometimes it would start fine but other times I would have to do that annoying technique to get it going. Sorry for the long post, but yeah, in need of a little bit of help here. Thanks for any tips or ideas you guys might have. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Whats the reading for the battery? Should be 12.6v I believe. Sounds like a battery to me.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah it is....I went to wal-mart and picked up another 12volt atv battery but that did nothing. Although that battery might have been junk or something because it didnt seem like that one was charging right.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Range Rover

i had this problem on my wife's warrior. when i think a battery is not good any more i jump my quads from my car with jumping cables. if it starts up and not the clicking noise you describe then i know it is a bad battery.dont worry both use 12 volts. but you say you have a new battery? well then i would look at your solnoid. hers went out too. look at it right about the left rear tire. there are two bolts on top of it one should be connected to your battery and the other goes to your starter. inside this little electrical gaget is a switch that connect the two with you hit start. i jump (or touch the two) it with a pice of wire. if your quad starts when you do this,, well i would think it is the solnoid. if it does not, well use that same wire and and go directily to the starter and other end to the pos on the battery. it should start. if it does not well this i would concude it is yoru starter. this is where i would start. Good luck!!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Check out the fuse located under the left rear fender and try tapping on the solenoid. If no luck on either of those tap on the starter with a hammer or mallet and see if it starts to turn over.

Also, even best to do if you have access to a voltmeter, just have someone push in the start button and hold it and test the wire that runs to the starter on the starter terminal. If you have 12v, you have a bad starter. If not, the problem is probably the solenoid.

Last edited by beefy46172; 04-05-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks guys for the replies. Ive been busy lately due to my truck being in a hit and run accident and haven't had the time to check back on here or look at my quad for several days. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow after work and see what I can find out. Thanks guys.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

My Warrior is having the same problem. A guy at the shop i took it to told me that my starter was goin. What happens is the starter pin winds up sticking and it wont retract after you hit the button. So by rocking it in gear it allows the pin to go back and fire correctly. I only had to do this a couple of times. But all in all he deffinently suggested getting a new starter.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warrior wont start 2001

My warrior wont start, when button pushed no spark but cranks ok
when bump start runs fine.
Is this a stator issue? can 1 of the 2 pick-ups be bad

The following users liked this post:
Dick Cooch (03-01-2020)
Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

my warrior had the clicking selenoid and no turn over i found out that the post that the starter cable hooks to on top of the starter was a little loose i tightened it and havent had a problem since.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

so is that little click he heres a bad battery? I have the same issue with my rappy!