Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

98 Warrior Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webbl19
it has nothing to do with volts it has something to do with amps. im not saying it will explode right then and there but leave the jumpers connected to a car long enough and see what happens. That is why you charge motorcycle batteries at only 1-1.5 amps. Car batteries push at least 40amps or more depending on the size of the battery.

all alternators push 13-15 volts no matter if its a truck or car. i can go out to my cobalt or blazer i bet they are measuring close to the same thing.
Batteries don't push anything, they have it available. Chargers on the other hand, can Push current..... kinda.

It is the Motor or electrical item that "pulls" current. That would be known as the "load". If you hook up the 4 wheeler to a car or truck, it will be fine as long as you don't run a starter for an extended crank, or something crazy like that, Get it started and remove the source. Simple and quick. The starters on any ATV I have played with so far, pulls about 10-15 amps in "Crank position". I have heard of some that pull over 30 amps. Car Starters often pull more than 60 amps. You can burn up an ATV starter just like a car starter, by just cranking the bejeezus out of it with no start.... on the normal ATV battery. They're momentary design motors. Not constant running motors. They get hot really quick.

The wiring systems on the ATV will handle the car battery no problem. Handling the Alternator, maybe not so long.... Hence the previous recommendation for jumping it with vehicle turned off, or "not running". Even though Road vehicle alternators are well regulated, they likely put out more than 1-1.5 amps to get the vehicle battery back up to full charge quickly..... If I'm not mistaken, the output regulates itself, by demand.... I think that's how it was taught me....

Anyway, Jump Start - - OK.... just don't crank the starter til it dies. If it doesn't get the ATV started quickly, abandon the jump start, and get the ATV fixed. If it's just a battery issue, it will start normaly. If not, it will likely require more T-shooting.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,sorry I didn't get back here sooner but I had a lot going on the last few days.I think I have found the problem with my warrior.A friend suggested that it might be the starter so I yanked it the other night and the inside was all in pieces.The brushes I guess.I'm not sure how the inside of a starter is supposed to look but my Dad said he thinks it's shot,so rather than rebuild I ordered a new one off Ebay.It should be here tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if that does it.Thinking back,the last few times it started ,it didn't fire right away and the starter made kind of a wierd noise while it was cranking and I read on here that starters on Warriors like to go bad so I hope that's all it is.Kinda sucks though.If it was working I'd be out riding right now.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 91Warrior357
just make sure the truck is not running and the quad will be fine, the quad starter was designed to see 12.6 volts max, and by using internal resistance, it pulls a safe current. but if the voltage is high (like having a truck alternator putting out 15.2 volts, it will draw too much current. Youll even hear it...itll spin much faster than normal, as long as you dont keep cranking it over and over with no resting periods and you take the cables off when its started your fine, even with the truck running...
i agree with what you say. when i say i jumped my quad to diagnosis my problem, i jumped it from my toyota tercel. it was not running. i only left the leads connected while i tried to start it, then i disconnected the leads after i tried to start it. i did jump it from a 3/4 ford once too, but i pulled my jumpers after it started. i actually made a set of 10 foot jumper cables for my raptor from speaker wire and aligator clips i bought at radio shack. they work great for quad to quad jumps.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

i never said you shouldnt do it. if you read it i said if you do it make sure to disconnect quickly after it starts up.

anyways, you are using speaker wire? what gauge?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update-The new starter did the job.Dropped it in tonight after work and she fires right up and runs like a champ.I also swapped exhausts while I was working on it.The guy I bought it from gave me a DG slipon and a stock exhaust,and I had just been running the stock pipe.The DG is loud but not unearthly loud and I noticed a small increase in power.At least,in second gear the front end comes off easier.He said it had been bored but I don't know how much.But it sure kicks a lot more than the stock Warrior he was also trying to sell.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

good deal.