Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Overheating Problem, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem, Help.

Okay, forgive me this is my first 4 wheeler and I bought it used so it didn't come with a manual.

It's an 07 Grizzly 350 2x4, and it seems to over heat fairly quickly. My only gauge is that I have been on my lease every weekend the last month with two other guys and not once have there atv's over heated, but my temperature light seems to come on after I've only been riding for a little while.

How do I fix this or check the fluids? I believe it's oil cooled and the only thing I can find to check is the oil dipstick, which says full. Again, maybe this is a simple question but without a manual and no ATV experience I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, I guess nobody had any advise, LOL.

I'm used to working on trucks and cars, so I guess I'm just going to have to start taking it apart and learn on my own. I know the fan works since it always kicks on, maybe I should replace the thermostat?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

The fan is for the oil cooler. Have you checked your plug to see if it's running lean?

Not sure about that model, but it may have a thermistor instead of a thermostat.

Last edited by scootergptx; 09-11-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
The fan is for the oil cooler. Have you checked your plug to see if it's running lean?

Not sure about that model, but it may have a thermistor instead of a thermostat.
If I pull the plug what should I be looking for??

Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Looking for a nice tan/brownish color.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Could that really cause overheating? I'll pull the plug tonight and check.

Best I can find as far as thermostat/termistor looking at all the parts diagrams is a part labeled at Thermo Unit.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

I don't think it would make it overheat per say, but it would be a factor that could be contributing to it. Don't have a service manual for that model so I can't tell what specs the thermal unit should be.

I didn't see where you said the fan was coming on. You may want to bypass the thermal unit just to see if the fan is working.

Also, could be just a wire rubbed and is now exposed and shorts out.

Just tossin out possibilities. Hopefully, someone will follow up that has experience on this one.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Is it stalling out and then hard to start? This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I had a clutch kit done and dealer mechanic short changed me on oil. The oil looked fine on dipstick after I first checked it, but when I was out doing some heavy mud bogging, later on it started stalling. Come to find out i needed another quart of oil, after that it started right up and ran normal for the rest of the day. Yamaha has a low oil safety feature that prevents seizing, and also doesn't siplay it on digital instrument panel, at least not on my 06.

Or if it's a coolant issue, make sure coolant is not low and is still good.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kodiak450_06
Is it stalling out and then hard to start? This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I had a clutch kit done and dealer mechanic short changed me on oil. The oil looked fine on dipstick after I first checked it, but when I was out doing some heavy mud bogging, later on it started stalling. Come to find out i needed another quart of oil, after that it started right up and ran normal for the rest of the day. Yamaha has a low oil safety feature that prevents seizing, and also doesn't siplay it on digital instrument panel, at least not on my 06.

Or if it's a coolant issue, make sure coolant is not low and is still good.
No it's not stalling, it my temperature warning light that is always coming on, so I'm unsure how much further I can drive it before I let it cool down.

Part of the problem is I know it's oil cooled and can check the oil level but I don't see any where to check coolant levels or the resvoir, most of this is because I am new to this. Do I need to take the plastic off or something off to check coolant levels?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Oil cooled just means rather than straight up air cooling the oil is run through an oil cooler (like a radiator, just for oil). Sometimes these oil coolers also have a fan on them to help draw the heat from the oil.

This fan is what you probably should investigate if present, otherwise give the oil cooler radiator a good cleaning to make sure air is flowing through it to cool the oil.

There are no fluids to check as long as oil level is okay.

Quick Reply: Overheating Problem, Help.